diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2011, 02:25 AM   #431
diyAudio Moderator

Likewise Tony, it was nice meeting you at the 2011 HiFi Show!
Old 20th November 2011, 05:22 AM   #432
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoD818 View Post
Read OS's recommendation on the VAS, different R27 gives different VAS current. Beware, changing R27 will have an effect on output bias so start all over again if you change R27.
Reading 0.544V across R27(68r) = 8mA.

Yeah my boards are flipped. I accidentally produced my boards as a mirror image so transistors to the heatsink are underneath. Components on top had to be installed as a mirror image.

Regards

Simon
Old 20th November 2011, 01:28 PM   #433
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niss_man View Post
Reading 0.544V across R27(68r) = 8mA.

Yeah my boards are flipped. I accidentally produced my boards as a mirror image so transistors to the heatsink are underneath. Components on top had to be installed as a mirror image.

Regards

Simon

Just about right on the VAS, I'm running our prototype at about ~10mA with 56R for R27. As you can see in the video, after 2 hours it still remains at no more than 47 degrees Centigrade.

I see, I thought my eyes were failing me when I saw the orientation of your pcb.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2011, 09:54 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

Am happy with VAS now. Changed R27 to 100r and reset the bias adjustment a little lower than before. Also doubled the size of the vas heatsink. Now it runs nice and cool as I like. I have access to one of those laser temperature probes as on your video at work so will use it when I get the oportunity. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1209.JPG (195.9 KB, 981 views)
Old 21st November 2011, 10:29 AM   #435
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Back to the same questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
What voltage and current is the VAS set to?
Old 21st November 2011, 01:02 PM   #436
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
OT: jojo, nice meeting you and Jason finally at the audio show yesterday..... wished we could talk longer, please give my best to Jason....
Great to meet you too Tony It was a very cool show and awesome to meet you and all the locals
Old 21st November 2011, 02:17 PM   #437
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niss_man View Post
Am happy with VAS now. Changed R27 to 100r and reset the bias adjustment a little lower than before. Also doubled the size of the vas heatsink. Now it runs nice and cool as I like. I have access to one of those laser temperature probes as on your video at work so will use it when I get the oportunity. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Simon

Cool. The heat from the VAS is quite constant. The recommended heatsink was more than enough to maintain temps below 50*C even with higher ambient temps. I live in a tropical country so it gets kinda warm during the afternoon.
Old 24th November 2011, 05:47 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

I was checking through the thread and it didn't seem like there were any THD-20kHz, IMD, PIM, etc.

Anybody feel like running more sims?
Old 24th November 2011, 08:30 AM   #439
diyAudio Member

If anyone has the equipment and know how (of which I have neither)to do this who lives near by to me I would gladly donate my time and amp to help find out. The simple answer I think is Bloody Low distortion and sounds Great....

Regards

Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
I was checking through the thread and it didn't seem like there were any THD-20kHz, IMD, PIM, etc.

Anybody feel like running more sims?
Old 27th November 2011, 07:31 PM   #440
Krisfr is offline Krisfr  United States
diyAudio Member

As it relates to the board I am doing for this project, just how long does it take, for those that make their own boards, using the toner transfer method, most of you to "IRON" on the toner? Is there a set period of time to take that does not burn the board paper used in the transfer? Just curious. It seems to take me for ever. In excess of 30 minutes per side.

Hide this!Advertise here!