diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2011, 04:45 PM   #31
dadod is online now dadod  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
That is like the pioneer. It is real nice , BUT .... more sensitive to compensation (it tends to oscillate) if you don't get it EXACTLY right. Likes to (is more conducive) run a push-pull VAS. The pioneer only used the cascode as it did not have the reduced supply points like your German amp.

I would love to have suggestions on WHAT FET to use ?? , so I could physically
implement it (layout wise). Some are D-S-G vs. a BJT E-C-B , I need to know this to allow for BJT/FET interchangeability.
OS
LSK389B or C from Linear Systems.
dado
Old 13th July 2011, 05:18 PM   #32
Banned

Heres another jfet input circuit from another amp i used to have some years ago: http://i.imgur.com/MhM8f.png

Though the 2SK270 is made of unobtanium. The 2SK332 is also obsolete and only found on one single place on the entire net, on ebay sold by syracuse semiconductor/components.
Old 13th July 2011, 05:22 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadod View Post
LSK389B or C from Linear Systems.
dado
I'm on it ... your talking about this "dualie" , correct - http://www.linearsystems.com/datasheets/LSK389.pdf

(below 1)- would be how it would lay out as compared to a BJT (the option). To use the same pads/layout the BJT will be "back to back" ... no biggie (a dab of thermal compound and shrink tubing - AOK) . Correct me if i'm wrong , I do not believe this will impact performance.

Input section is the one where you "sweat the details".

OS
Attached Images
File Type: gif lsk389.GIF (3.1 KB, 2528 views)
Old 13th July 2011, 05:46 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default surface mount , too.

A tiny adapter for SOT23-323 bjt's/fets. Double sided , would solder right in place of the through- hole devices. Could be supplied separately , a very simple option for the input pair. just a 10 X 10mm pcb.

OS
Attached Images
File Type: gif SOT23-323.GIF (431 Bytes, 3702 views)
Old 13th July 2011, 06:09 PM   #35
farjon is offline farjon  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
I actually just redesigned the whole thing (below 1) , wanted it to "look" SOTA. Is the choice of resistor OK ? (below 2) 10mm lead- spaced noble emitter resistors - non-inductive ?
Ok, but... can you leave some space around in order to vertically mount more conventional resistors, if desired?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th July 2011, 06:16 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

IMO, this is a really super design and project. One comment. If the performance is as good as I suspect, you'll likely see a difference between output inductors wound on a resistor, vs wound on a plastic form separate from the resistor. The type of resistor and leads probably determine how much effect it has. At least that's what I found in a particular fussy design I once did.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:36 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Buster View Post
Ok, but... can you leave some space around in order to vertically mount more conventional resistors, if desired?

Click the image to open in full size.
If that all you had , I see nothing in the "keep out " zones that would not allow for those 5W monsters to be mounted vertically.

Quote:
By C. Hoffman - IMO, this is a really super design and project. One comment. If the performance is as good as I suspect, you'll likely see a difference between output inductors wound on a resistor, vs wound on a plastic form separate from the resistor. The type of resistor and leads probably determine how much effect it has. At least that's what I found in a particular fussy design I once did.
With BJT's , I know we are at least at the silicon chip level (.0006% THD20), the FET option is slightly less "super" . This can be offset with smaller current mirror degeneration , 10-22R on the Jfet's .... all this to get the loop gain in the same league as the BJT option. All this will be documented. I have only thoroughly tested the simple and cascoded BJT combo's (ss9014/ksc1845 - cascoded and just the ksc1845 as input pair).

The OP output coil is separate from the 4.7R resistor , my screenprint is generic and shows the resistor inside (wrong-resistor is right next to coil). As with any PPM amp , even the OP stage, voltage stage/input, and supply cap traces "star" from a single rail point right at the fuse. Not having an exact center NFB takoff would add hundreds of ppm, as well - wait till you see the input stage/final labeling.

OS
Old 13th July 2011, 09:36 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

2SK389 is nearly unobtanium and LSK variation is no better. Although 2SK170 matched pairs can be used, this is also not easily available. A better option would be to use something like the BF862, easily available, SMD and cheap; but very good performance. You ought to either keep its dissipation low or use parallel devices. This way, the amp will be practically realisable for many across many countries.
Old 13th July 2011, 09:50 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

My reason for post #34 , allowing for E-C-B bipolars or a plug-in 10mm sq. smd fet PCB. This is why most of my amps are "hardware store" variety BJT semi's - sourcing !!!

OS
Old 14th July 2011, 02:50 AM   #40
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Very nice OS! I like the concept and it means anyone coming fairly new into amp construction can get a first class result. Looking forward to hearing from all those that are going to build this!

Hide this!Advertise here!