diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

I found some 6800uf 80v caps with the right dimension and lead space for the 1V20 boards at digikey for about $5. Each. For dual mono that would be 27200uf per rail and 54400uf per channel. This seems like a better route than lowering rail voltage to increase capacitance. (Which I considered) Of course like redjr said one could mount the caps off the board, but I have these nice boards that I just can't let go to waste:D

I found some 6800uf 80v caps with the right dimension and lead space for the 1V20 boards at digikey for about $5. Each. For dual mono that would be 27200uf per rail and 54400uf per channel. This seems like a better route than lowering rail voltage to increase capacitance. (Which I considered) Of course like redjr said one could mount the caps off the board, but I have these nice boards that I just can't let go to waste:D

If you do not need the 80V rating but 63V would be OK, perhaps the new Apexjr caps (35mm) would be an idea. Not sure about the spacing, though.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/apex-jr/206439-stock-15-000uf-63v-snap.html

That's a pretty solid plan for the caps. :)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Should be more than fine, with over 4x what Stormrider said would be fine.
But with a name like 4x4 that makes sense!

also it's way over double what he called "excessive" so well in keeping with the DIY ethic..

I can't imagine why you'd need more..maybe less is OK even..

Last edited:
Should be more than fine, with over 4x what Stormrider said would be fine.
But with a name like 4x4 that makes sense!

also it's way over double what he called "excessive" so well in keeping with the DIY ethic..

I can't imagine why you'd need more..maybe less is OK even..
From what I've always understood about filter caps... The larger (more ufds) the better and they do no harm, as long as the voltage rating is high enough - and then some - for the PSU rails.

Some odd 40 yrs ago, I tried building my first 'Tiger' amp from Southwest Technical Products. About ~70wpc. Anyone remember those? ;) The kit called for some very large caps. IIRC somewhere around 16,000mfd @ about 45v. I was able to source them at the time, but paid dearly, and they looked like small glasses - about 2.5" diameter and 4" high! Never did get that amp working after it fried one pf my KLH bookshelf speakers during a test. :no: This was long before the Internet, so resources were few and far between, for a young guy right out of college. I later learned it was a poor design anyway. :( But I digress.

Today I am putting together a BOM for the P-SSSDP-2V20 soft start board from the DIY store. I am having a hard time with C9 and C11. C9 is a class-X 1uf 250V capacitor and C11 is a class-Y .01uf 250V capacitor. Digikey has many different caps that are x y rated but they also have many different material, lead space etc. options. Any advice on narrowing my search down?