diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 08:58 AM   #351
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoD818 View Post
I hope so too. Are you rebuilding yours?
Yes I will be shortly. A local member is going to help me out with some new parts.

Simon
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 09:07 AM   #352
diyAudio Moderator
 
JojoD818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: searching...
Quote:
Originally Posted by niss_man View Post
Yes I will be shortly. A local member is going to help me out with some new parts.

Simon
Great, you should also be meticulous on your device selection, maybe source it from someone you trust.

I have, on many occasions witnessed catastrophic failures all due to fake/counterfeit devices.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:22 AM   #353
repeet is offline repeet  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane
I'm the person providing the devices for niss_man.
The drivers are direct from OnSemi and all the others are from Mouser using Ostrippers preferred devices. The only ones I don't have spare are the output transistors.
All parts are genuine. (no ebay parts ever again).
I've gone back to my Greg Ball SKA amp now, and am preferring it over the Mongrel with my newly completed Mini Statement speakers.
I'll probably convert my Mongrel amp to this one once the diyAudio boards become available (even though I told myself no more amps!).
I was never totally happy with my etched boards and the seperate voltage boards on the Mongrel amp takes up a lot of space.
Looking forward to meeting a fellow DIY'er on the weekend.
Pete
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:43 AM   #354
diyAudio Moderator
 
JojoD818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: searching...
Hi Pete,

Glad to hear you guys get your parts from reputable sources. Now I wonder what really went wrong with niss_man's amp...
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:38 AM   #355
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
Build and assemble and power up using a method that prevents destruction in event of a wiring error or a component failure.
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:58 AM   #356
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoD818 View Post
Hi Pete,

Glad to hear you guys get your parts from reputable sources. Now I wonder what really went wrong with niss_man's amp...

I have a pair of boards running. They are my own layout, but using the same basic circuit.
No music yet, but they measure great.
The one failure I had was my own doing - thermal runaway on one power PNP due to mangled threads on the heat sink (broken tap on last hole...).

Moral of the story:
Carefully check the voltage drop across each 0.22 ohm resistor at first power up, after adjusting the bias. Turn off asap if any do not stabilize or if significantly higher than the others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:17 PM   #357
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator
 
AJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Palatiw, Pasig City
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Build and assemble and power up using a method that prevents destruction in event of a wiring error or a component failure.
jojod is a seasoned veteran with builds exceeding yours by more than 20 times, i am sure he knows what he is doing....
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:30 PM   #358
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by niss_man View Post
Let's hope you don't get the same failure I experienced after putting one of these together
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
jojod is a seasoned veteran ................................ I am sure he knows what he is doing....
jojod does not seem to be the specific target for my comment.
Nissman needs it more.
But my comment was not targeted at any Member in particular. It is general advice to all Members.

I make mistakes too.
Mostly at the measurement stage where a probe slips and shorts across a connection. Disaster generally. I do wish there was the habit of including test loops in the Group Buy PCBs, but this is rarely if ever seen.

I have occasionally misplaced NPN for PNP. This type of error is generally caught with the bulb tester. Similarly swapping polarities can be caught with the bulb tester.
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 03:15 PM   #359
diyAudio Moderator
 
JojoD818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: searching...
Quote:
Originally Posted by discrete View Post
I have a pair of boards running. They are my own layout, but using the same basic circuit.
No music yet, but they measure great.
The one failure I had was my own doing - thermal runaway on one power PNP due to mangled threads on the heat sink (broken tap on last hole...).

Moral of the story:
Carefully check the voltage drop across each 0.22 ohm resistor at first power up, after adjusting the bias. Turn off asap if any do not stabilize or if significantly higher than the others.
Cool, I have checked the board against the schematic several times and so far so good that's why it's a go. I just hope my eye hasn't failed me.

That failure could had been easily fixed by adding an aluminum thermal bar across all the outputs.



Quote:
jojod does not seem to be the specific target for my comment.
Nissman needs it more.
But my comment was not targeted at any Member in particular. It is general advice to all Members.

I make mistakes too.
Mostly at the measurement stage where a probe slips and shorts across a connection. Disaster generally. I do wish there was the habit of including test loops in the Group Buy PCBs, but this is rarely if ever seen.

I have occasionally misplaced NPN for PNP. This type of error is generally caught with the bulb tester. Similarly swapping polarities can be caught with the bulb tester.

There can be a number of mistakes in an amp build especially if ones mind is somewhere else during the build, concentration is somewhat essential.

It has been my personal procedure to check and re-check all wiring and device orientation before I power up.

Another safety advise would be to always, always power up when you and your work are good and ready.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 03:25 PM   #360
diyAudio Moderator
 
JojoD818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: searching...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
jojod is a seasoned veteran with builds exceeding yours by more than 20 times, i am sure he knows what he is doing....

hi tony, it seems it has been a life-long passion for me...
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread Variac Solid State 1150 2nd July 2014 11:45 AM
Honey, I smoked the Weller 8200 jackinnj Equipment & Tools 5 25th April 2011 06:07 AM
Badger Badger Badger..... Mushroom !! 5th element Everything Else 15 20th September 2003 03:16 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:57 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2