diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

This chassis weighs in at about 20 pounds and sells for about 80 dollars. Have you seen this site or contacted the owner? Audio Catalog

Good luck, I hope we all can benefit...

Attachments

• DSC01370.jpg
    DSC01370.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,341
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As Jojo mentioned there are all sorts of charges when trying to import stuff. It's very complicated, and everyone on the "Gravy Train" gets their cut. Including US Customs. The reason no one does this is that it isn't very profitable. If it were, then lots of people people would be doing it. The shipping really is "out of sight" for heavy stuff.

It is a shame that some innovative Chinese seller has not offered a chassis of good quality and such, at a reasonable price for the product and the shipping. I have seen many chassis that look real good, but the shipping cost is out of sight. IMHO the cost of a "empty chassis" exceeds the cost of most same size full amplifiers at the local big boxes...and the empty ones weigh less. Anyone with ANY solution for this dilemma?

Last edited:
This chassis weighs in at about 20 pounds and sells for about 80 dollars. Have you seen this site or contacted the owner? Audio Catalog

Good luck, I hope we all can benefit...

A buddy of mine once ordered that for a Hiraga Class A project, he got the champagne gold finish I think. Build is good but what we didn't liked about it really is the drilled front panel for the power switch and the back panel for the i/o connectors of the amp making it pretty generic. Kinda cuts off the creativity and imagination of the builder because you need to follow the pre-drilled holes.

I was looking at that sites Surface Shipping rates, I did not understand that the rates that they quoted where in HK dollars, so the surface ship to the states is about 50 dollars. High but more with in reason.

Kris, please bear in mind also that you still need to clear and pay your local customs duties with that too.

Something that we are so working hard trying to avoid. :)

Hi, any idea what is input impedance and sensitivity of this amp?
I was wondering can I use ldr volume pot.
Is there going to be a GB to all bom parts?

Hi JJGB,

If you are pertaining to the LightSpeed passive attenuator then yes I have tried the Honey Badger with it also and the results were (imo) pretty good.

Cheers

I found this Harmon Kardon 'donor' amp for USD50 on the local flea-bay.

Any opinions if the L+R boards can use the single heatsink ? Or will a second heatsink be needed?

I was considering One pcb pointing up, the other pointing down (after the boards being tested/calibrated individually as of course will be difficult to test after install).

-- Apologies if off topic chassis again --
IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Is that telling us, that is the official name for the amplifier featured in this Thread?
Or
That it is a nickname we can all forget and we'll stick with the thread title?
Or
That the thread title needs to be altered to reflect the official status of the name to be used in referring to the amplifier featured in this Thread?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
AndrewT,

If you search for 'honey badger' on youtube, I think this is where the name is derived. It is one of those viral videos on youtube, but I wouldn't watch it with the kids! Definitely adult oriented.

The narrator explains the life of the honey badger in a very unconventional manner!