diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Thank you very well, Stuart!
I'd say your results had to be expected, as the devices you've chosen and measured aren't that different in their electrical specs, all in all.
Best regards!
Yes. But why is the distortion ~0.003% at 1khz at 80watts into 8ohms and ~0.23% at 16khz at 80watts into 8ohms even though its very stable at a unity gain crossover frequency of just over 1Mhz. I would assume that at that frequency there is plenty of negative feedback available to reduce the distortion. More than what I'm seeing anyways....

Joined 2016
Paid Member
is that simulations or actual testing results?
All actual testing results using the QA401 Screenshot_20210323-213342_Photos.jpg

At 16KHz, does the distortion increase with loading or is it the same with no load?

Check that your TPC network is connected correctly, as these prominent odd harmonics could be from an overloaded LTP. Looks like the effect extends down to 1KHz as well.

Did you check your analyzer output for harmonics?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
At 16KHz, does the distortion increase with loading or is it the same with no load?

Check that your TPC network is connected correctly, as these prominent odd harmonics could be from an overloaded LTP. Looks like the effect extends down to 1KHz as well.

Did you check your analyzer output for harmonics?

Thanks for the response.
I'll check my TPC connections and I'll post some loopback tests and some no load tests tonight. I do know that the no load measurements are significant lower.

Last edited:
I can't get the badger sim to do much over .01% 20K in simulation.

I know the sim is right , the new Badger ... I did not know how the British
builder got 5 PPM out of the design ??
I used this Badger's TMC with the new EF3 badger ... guess what - it simulated
at 4.6ppm.

The guy in England .. he showed his AP analyzer results.

I would suggest to go back to just a 68pf CMC on the VAS and and increase
emitter degeneration on the LTP pair.
.02-.03 % should be worst case with this basic topology.

OS

Joined 2016
Paid Member
tail current is 3.7ma as per schematics at post #2

did you set that to 6ma when you tested?
Of course I had it set to 3.75mA when I first built my test Amplifier module. Over the past few months I have preformed many, many test, one of them was increasing the tail current from 3.75mA to 6mA and changing the emitter degeneration resistors. In doing so I noticed a large improvement in the second and fourth harmonic. See attached.

I was reading douglas self book on input stage design and he says that you will get a more linear input stage by increasing tail current to increase GM then reduce it again by increasing degeneration and adjusting the compensation capacitors to suit
So that's what I did. USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--706496987.jpg USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1143965044.jpg