Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2013, 01:14 PM   #1021
Krisfr is offline Krisfr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod3gen View Post
Sounds great OS.

Take a look at my attachment, does it look somewhat correct? What value would you recommend for R19 at 80v?

I used this amp almost for a month earlier, and is now waiting for me to complete the cabinet for it. Ive fitted the honey badger with 4 pairs of outputs instead of 3. It seems to work pretty good, except i get some banging in my speaker when i reach high sound levels with much peaks of bass, and after i saw the posts these latest days, i though maybe that could be the cause for the bangs. Other than this, honey badger rocks with 4 outputs.
Are you running with Plus/Minus 80 rails? WOW
Old 15th September 2013, 07:37 PM   #1022
ostripper is offline ostripper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Here's the basic thing. Values aren't shown because it's not one-size-fits-all. I suggest using low-capacitance schottkeys. Some diodes actually have too low voltage drop and leakage is too large in this position, I think the 1N5817 is an example (but I think that has too much capacitance anyways).
Tried it , your right ... not any diode - you must use a VERY low reverse leakage
device or distortion increases a hundred-fold (NO 1N4148/914).

Cod3gen's model , my MUR models, or my NPX diode model show almost no increase in distortion.

When you overdrive ,it is not asymmetrical , and it will clip before saturation.
It could be useful for "throttling" a sub amp (as dan says). Wherever you put
a diode in this amp's signal path , it better be a good (exceptional) one.

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clipper1.jpg (106.9 KB, 786 views)
Old 15th September 2013, 07:49 PM   #1023
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Here's the basic thing. Values aren't shown because it's not one-size-fits-all. I suggest using low-capacitance schottkeys. Some diodes actually have too low voltage drop and leakage is too large in this position, I think the 1N5817 is an example (but I think that has too much capacitance anyways).
Tried it , your right ... not any diode - you must use a VERY low reverse leakage
device or distortion increases a hundred-fold (NO 1N4148/914).

Codegen's model , my MUR models, or my NPX diode model show almost no increase in distortion.

When you overdrive ,it is not asymmetrical , and it will clip before saturation.
It could be useful for "throttling" a sub amp (as dan says). Wherever you put
a diode in this amp's signal path , it better be a good (exceptional) one.

OS
Old 18th September 2013, 08:47 PM   #1024
danielwritesbac is offline danielwritesbac  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah, well, the clippers should be quite delightful for a bass amp. Can you check a Series pair of bat86 set antiparallel with series pair bat86? That should be fairly quiet until about 0.587v or so, whereupon it will sound like a bright texture upon the bass or some fuzz, but this is a bit quieter than regular clipping, and a lot quieter than x-max.

P.S.
For full bandwidth amp, a jfet is probably more desirable than diode switching noises.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:59 PM   #1025
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and a lot quieter than x-max
I've never seen that expression

Nothing like slammin' a voice coil .... My Badger pushed one of my mission woofers right out of the frame (it even stayed out ) before I replaced it.

I was trying to burn them out, BTW !!!

OS
Old 30th September 2013, 09:36 PM   #1026
diyAudio Member

Default DIYA store is out of Badgers , time for the V2.4 !

They are all gone! ... Variac has messaged me for the updated boards.

I explained I wanted to run the output (the final V2.4) - through the forum to look for mistakes and to verify the addition of the baker clamp diode.

Below is the Sprint output as it is. I have added the clamp diode , it is designated as "D-BC-option" (circled in yellow).

Q10's output trace only crosses low impedance traces , the emitter resistor of Q10 (R23) and the TMC feedback trace (where C7-8 and R24 meet) ... also low impedance - as it is the main output > R24.

The Diode (D-BC-option) jumps the regulated V+ rail to the base of Q9. So , we have the V+ separating low and high imp. .... UNLESS Q10 saturates.

With the best diode (very low reverse leakage) one should not realize the diode's effect during normal use.
An SMD device could be used on the topside of the board with a little skill at soldering wires on the device.
I decided to not use SMD pads to keep the base trace of Q9 "clean" and separated from the VAS by the V+ trace.

Any comments and suggestions are HIGHLY welcome - this amp is for the community.

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V2.4 final.JPG (150.0 KB, 626 views)
Old 5th October 2013, 02:37 AM   #1027
diyAudio Member

Default Great amplifier design spoilt by disasterous Twist-A-Plot documentation & board print

Nobody commented? Unbelievably, it is up to me, so here goes with that. . .

Yes sir. I had some ideas in Feburary, but they were not my own ideas, rather a collection of build tweaks that were popular or helped. They're at post#908 on this same thread.
That information needs inspected.
I tried my best but was confused.
There some different options and there is also an attempt to constrain the dials to block the optional explode settings, but I do not know if the schema shown does it well enough. I also tried to make sense of the luxeman zener confusions area of the schema, but could not make any sense of that.
That post may have a mix of bad and good ideas. I hope you can extract the good ideas from it. There are a few better parts, and also there's a more appropriate nfb-shunt-cap value suited for indoor use.

Ultimately, and because of the documentation, I decided that it would be unsafe for me to purchase a Honey Badger. My troubleshooting skills are not strong enough to resolve all of the questions raised by the documentation that doesn't do much else.

Unfortunately, the documentation Prevents making a (1) optimized amplifier.

As evidenced on the threads, the main cause(s) of Honey Badger failure is unsafe Twist-A-Plot assembly manual that goes in many directions instead of one. . . and there's the misleading screen print on the board that could build more than one amplifier but not all simultaneously as it is printed, which is a misdirection.
Options are nice, but please spare a totally separate document for those.

We need a goal for the assembly manual to make one (1) amplifier start up and run on the first try. That might be an appropriate assembly manual. Please choose whichever (1) design is mostly likely to play on first go. And, then don't pollute the assembly manual with confusing mishmash options. Also, the board screen print needs focused/directed towards a goal of start up and work on the first try.

Although exploration of different options may be nice, that sort needs documented separately and at a safe distance.
The amplifier design is great. I look forward to the documentation catching up to it. I'm still waiting on an assembly manual that has a goal of working.

P.S.
Sorry if that was brutal. However, you didn't get any other input. Maybe this will do it.
I do like your design. However, I would also like to use it (but I'm frustrated by the unclear assembly documentation). See the difference?

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 5th October 2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 5th October 2013, 02:53 AM   #1028
JojoD818 is offline JojoD818  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

I wonder if you've already seen the official build guide for the Honey Badger.

The documentation does not prevent anyone from building an optimized amplifier, it gives you options, and more options. I think what you are looking for is somebody else coming up with the optimized values and post it here.
Old 5th October 2013, 02:54 AM   #1029
diyAudio Member

As for the diode thing to prevent an output from sticking: There's no need to install an extra fuzzbox when the real problem is that documentation failed to enforce the notion of valid transformer voltages, 35+35vac~45+45vac range. If someone uses a lot smaller transformer than required and causes errors, that is really not a electronic design fault, but rather it is an inaccurate build. It doesn't need a design change. However, it does reiterate the need for functional documentation. There was that difference, we do need clear notes and we don't need fuzz.
Does that help sort it?
Old 5th October 2013, 02:54 AM   #1030
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoD818 View Post
I wonder if you've already seen the official build guide for the Honey Badger.

The documentation does not prevent anyone from building an optimized amplifier, it gives you options, and more options. I think what you are looking for is somebody else coming up with the optimized values and post it here.
Yes sir, optimized values are expected of anything that isn't prototype/experimental status.

P.S.
I don't mean to be rude, but OStripper did ask a question and my answer was to boost the documentation quality instead of presenting a mixed slew of options. Straightforward documentation is only one answer of many possible. Consider it a wish list.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 5th October 2013 at 03:02 AM.

diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"Hide this!Advertise here!