diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Well you should find them and pretty standard ones like that are a tlo74...Minus being a Stereo PA whatever.. meant to accept some Big signals....Distortion wasn't in mind as much probably...well use some bigger coupling sizes too throughout...drop some bypass and roll off caps and some of the others, 10-100uf can be even kinda big...and .1 is too big...

you do that you have a OCD/Tubescreamer Driver and able to take pedals better lol.
I did that and tighten up ALOT Better. Great for Home.

2SA2151 |Sanken Electric
Way better 3A+ DC SOA @ 40-50V , more Hfe ... better for the EF2 badger.

I shy away from the ON semi products.

OS

I am very keen to build the HB, therefore would the output stage be able to be replaced verbatim with 2SA2151 and 2SC6011 keeping all else including the driver transistors the same, instead of the guides recommended NJW0281 etc?

I too like Sanken's audio power transistor's for their exceptional linearity and find it strange that their use has not been more widespread away from japan.

Thanks,
Grendel

The Sanken MT-200's (17A ic), if you can make them fit.
Run them at 55V and you have a 300W amp @ 4R.

I believe the MT-200's are sadly end of life and arent avaiable from digikey or any other reputable supplier. Any japanese transistor purchased outside official channels on ebay or aliexpress is likely to be a fake or refurbished, so it looks like there may not be a reliable way to obtain these legendary devices anymore.

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/PCNs/Sanken/EOL_Notice_A_12_21_2017.pdf

I believe the MT-200's are sadly end of life and arent avaiable from digikey or any other reputable supplier. Any japanese transistor purchased outside official channels on ebay or aliexpress is likely to be a fake or refurbished, so it looks like there may not be a reliable way to obtain these legendary devices anymore.

Sadly , this the fate of many SS project semi's.
I am working on switching over to Zetex D-pac/sot23 to replace to-92
and to-126 devices.
And , using class G/H to "squeeze' that last amp out of TO-3p devices.
OS

Last edited:

Hi,

Profusionplc is still have more than 1k of 2SC2922/2SA1216 or 2SC3264/2SA1295 is stock. They are official distributor...

Sajti

Last edited:
3X both to-3p P/N channel outputs and 1 each P/N driver.
I have had builders for both honey badger and slewmaster partially
populate the PCB . 2 pairs output on the HB at 50V rails would be
as powerful as most larger home receivers - 120W/ch.

But why not do all 6 devices ... another 5$.

OS

Nothing , electrically. Physically , you might have to extend the leads of the drivers and mount them elsewhere.

If you search this thread or the HB builders thread , a few have used these
devices and have the "details".
I never envisioned using the MT-200's , just a few spacing changes would of
facilitated this upgrade. The forum wanted a board that would be compatible
with their stock heatsinks , so I was restrained.
OS

Your schematic appears to have 2 transistors in each of the driver and output positions where there should only be one.

Hello stock trader,
The schematic is drawn by me and I wanted to incorporate alterNative packages for driver (pin lengths) and output .
Other wise, there is only one .
E.g. output can be either to3p or mt200.
Regards
Prasi

3X both to-3p P/N channel outputs and 1 each P/N driver.
I have had builders for both honey badger and slewmaster partially
populate the PCB . 2 pairs output on the HB at 50V rails would be
as powerful as most larger home receivers - 120W/ch.

But why not do all 6 devices ... another 5$.

OS

I am in the process of finalizing the purchasing of the HB components and have 2 questions

2. Can MJE15030 (vce 150) be used for the pre-drivers instead of the MJE 15032. If that is so i can use the insulated version of the MJE15030, which is the MJF15030 and its complementary MJF15031 for ease of mounting.

3. Was a input stage cascode used to be able to use low voltage low noise input transistors and/or for its Improved PSRR?

Thanks,
Grendel