diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2013, 02:38 AM   #1001
janusz is offline janusz  Australia
diyAudio Member

The whole trick is to select diode and its location in such a way that under normal conditions it is reverse biased so it looks as if it was not in the circuit. However, when PA is driven into clipping diode should be forward biased so it would conduct to reduce the base current drive into VAS transistors.

On top of it depending on the amps design it may be essential that diode’s reverse leakage current is as low as possible. When building Stochino’s amp some crucial diodes had to be selected for that minimum reverse leakage currant.

So it looks that with some fine tuning of diode selection and placement Honey Badger will be as good as possible. Nevertheless, it is alvays better to operate LTP-VAS from regulated PS some +/-5V above below the output stage.

Cheers,
Old 12th September 2013, 03:17 AM   #1002
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
On top of it depending on the amps design it may be essential that diode’s reverse leakage current is as low as possible. When building Stochino’s amp some crucial diodes had to be selected for that minimum reverse leakage current.
This is hard , as some of the best ones are SMD.
Perhaps , on V2.4 , I should add pads for SMD and leaded devices (just for this part!!).

My results on some of the models I have not shared (yet) are near perfection.
But .... these are SMD (much greater selection).

OS

Last edited by ostripper; 12th September 2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12th September 2013, 03:33 AM   #1003
diyAudio Member

I used BAW62 diodes in the Stochino amp with absolutely no issues.
Old 12th September 2013, 07:04 AM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Well I got the case almost finished today. I didn't have a power jack so the AC portion is undone but i got everything else installed and tested. My goodness this is one beautiful sounding amp. Maybe my favorite so far. I hooked it up to my JBL's and it really kicks.
Sorry OS, I didn't get around to making any of the changes you suggested. The higher gain doesn't bother me because I am using a B1 Buffer for my preamp and it doesn't add any gain at all.

I played it through two pair of JBL for 4ohm and it just kicked without breaking a sweat. I just ganged 6, 10K 100W caps together for the PSU. Sounds really sweet and the bass if to die for. Tranny runs at 65.4V at an idle and drops to about 63.9V at high volume with deep bass parts playing. At normal listening, it runs right at 65V rails. I'm pretty happy, can you tell?

Here are some picks. I haven't done the face plate yet because it holds the power switch.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th September 2013, 03:16 PM   #1005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By still4given - I'm pretty happy, can you tell?
That case looks like it's built "ram tough" - truck style !

Wow ! that's a lot of amps, man....

BTW - if you do any change , replace the R24=1.5k (TMC feedback) , that
will get rid of the oscillations.

I love those classic JBL speakers , would not want to hurt them horns !!

OS

Last edited by ostripper; 12th September 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12th September 2013, 03:18 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jayaraj View Post
I used BAW62 diodes in the Stochino amp with absolutely no issues.
Badger's can see 120v reverse voltage in my diode application , BAW62 has only
PRV= 75V. I will look at NPX's BAWxx lineup for a 125-200PRV offering.

OS
Old 12th September 2013, 06:15 PM   #1007
cod3gen is offline cod3gen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to cod3gen
Hello OS!

Would any of these do the trick? I see you used BAW21 which is among them. Which would be best, and what value for R18 and R24..

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/302/BAV20-113648.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/258/MMBD1...-23)-25843.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/FDLL485B-93325.pdf

Stian
Old 13th September 2013, 12:09 AM   #1008
janusz is offline janusz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Maybe a few more words on the diode selection and its placement. I made a suggestion to connect base of Q9 to the collector of Q10 but then I went to that page Ostripper recommended in another thread. There were no schematics so I thought that they are talking about some general rule so I hesitated. That's why I posted the other note that it would have worked for the upsidedown LTP-VAS and it would have as with such configuration collector of the lower VAS transistor has to be connected to something with higher potential than its base to "pull it up" from the rail when overdriven as it cannot go below rails voltage and gets saturated.

If the main VAS transistor is on the positive side then the collector of the upper VAS transistor has to be connected to some point with lower potential than its base so under normal conditions the diode is reverse biased. When overdriven, however, diode becomes forward biased and "pulls down" the collector of the upper VAS transitor from its rails voltage to prevent transistor's saturation. In this case collector of Q10 can be connected to the base of Q9 or its collector as these have lower potential than its base.

Conclusions for the dode selection as already mentioned before by ostripper are:
1. It must have reverse breakdown voltage high enough to sustain the whole swing (-V to +V);
2. it should have low reverse leakage current not to degrade amp's performance when it is reverse biased under normal operating conditions.

cheers,
Old 14th September 2013, 03:18 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod3gen View Post
Hello OS!

Would any of these do the trick? I see you used BAW21 which is among them. Which would be best, and what value for R18 and R24..

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/302/BAV20-113648.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/258/MMBD1...-23)-25843.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/FDLL485B-93325.pdf

Stian
All those look real good (<50nA leakage/>150V prv). The last 2 SMD devices could be soldered right across the Q9-B/Q10-C pads under the board , no rework.

R18/19 are the cascode divider resistors. R18 can be replaced by a 7-24V (12/15V optimal) zener. 68K for R19 will be >500uA (1/2mA) with >50V rails. 40-50V rails can use 56K to keep 1/2mA current.
If using resistors , just try to keep 1/2mA flowing through R18/19. This will
be 68K/22K (60V rails) or 56K/15K (40V rails).

(Below-attachment 1) is a overdriven badger with a murs120 clamping diode.
Notice the (green) pulse of the diode clamping the Q10 transistor at clip. 2-3mA is all that's required (any small signal high-speed diode).

(below-attachment 2) is the badger under normal conditions. The green is the reverse leakage (500nA). This is worst case ... as some of the better SMD diodes have 1/10th the leakage.

For those PURISTS !! Do not add the diode , R24=1.5k (TMC feedback) , DO NOT CLIP - you won't have the "little burst" , but you will "stick" (Q10) , if
you do.

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg murs120-1.jpg (41.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg murs120-2.jpg (45.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 14th September 2013, 10:25 PM   #1010
cod3gen is offline cod3gen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to cod3gen
Sounds great OS.

Take a look at my attachment, does it look somewhat correct? What value would you recommend for R19 at 80v?

I used this amp almost for a month earlier, and is now waiting for me to complete the cabinet for it. Ive fitted the honey badger with 4 pairs of outputs instead of 3. It seems to work pretty good, except i get some banging in my speaker when i reach high sound levels with much peaks of bass, and after i saw the posts these latest days, i though maybe that could be the cause for the bangs. Other than this, honey badger rocks with 4 outputs.
Attached Images
File Type: png honeybadger.png (25.9 KB, 148 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!