My Dead Arcam 200 AVR project/helpHi all 0/ Basically I have an old Arcam 200 AVR tha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all 0/
Basically I have an old Arcam 200 AVR that I stupidly blew up a year or so ago, at the time is was a buy for spares and repairs off ebay it cost me £70. Anyway when it arrived I plugged it in and to my surprise started to work fine, but then after about 20 mins I noticed that my speakers started to buzz during low volume while watching a film. So off I went to the google and in one forum it suggested that you switch the ground over and try direct sound. But like an idiot I switched the wrong switch and flipped the 230v to 120 .. you know what happened next .. a green flash and its never worked since.
I’m not crying over spilt milk because I thought it would DOA and I bought it as a project to see if I could learn something about electronics while attempting to fix it and maybe build my own amp from scratch eventually. The project got side stepped by work etc. and now I have time to pick it up again. I have found the schematics off www.audio-circuit.dk for a 250 and I hope this is near enough the same to my own 200.
If you could give me some advice on where to start I would be really grateful, even if it’s a 101 book or a project to fix something similar, I build high end game PCs for friend who has a computer shop for extra cash so I’m not totally new to electronics.

What you did to that poor Arcam could have fried quite a lot of components, but you might be lucky - it could just be the output devices and a PCB track burnt out. The green flash would be copper vaporising, never to be seen again with barely a stain left on the PCB if it happened real quick. If you're really lucky it may just be the bridge rectifier shorted which again probably took out a track or wire with it but components after it may be OK, which is basically all the amplifier stages left working.

Personally, I would look for visible damage first, if there's only a few components burnt or with holes in them it may be worth saving.

If the power supply is the SMPS type, then the amp part should be fine, if its the transformer kind, then i'd say the primary winding is toast, this was likely the green flash you say, the transformer primary violently open circuiting.

If smps, it was the primary side exploding.

LoL he died a fruitless death ! but there is some good that will come out of this.. I will always remember to put my glasses on when playing with audio equipment.. thanks for the advice I will pop the lid at the weekend when I get my new bench set up in the workshop ( or shed as her who must be obeyed calls it ). If I can Ill take some pics and post them as I attempt my repair or not as it may be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.