Help needed on replacing Adcom 545 power supply caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Dumb question from a noob; I have a couple of Adcom amps (545 and 535 II) that could only benefit from new electrolytic caps. What's the best way to drain down the caps? I've read about using a resistor, a bulb, etc. How exactly is this done? I know it can be dangerous, both to the gear and the person if you dont know what you are doing and do it wrong. And I dont think i'm that person to try it unsupervised. But my friend and local go to for electronics questions and repairs is out of town indefinitely. And I'd still like to know the proper procedure for doing it for myself. And I'm not totally inexperienced with electronics repair, just not formally trained. Any input would be welcome. Thanks!

What is their diameter? You'll want to find caps that fit right in the clamps/brackets those amps use to hold them in place. What's the rail voltage in the 545?

The caps probably don't hold a charge for long after you turn the amp off. If they do, put a large, 2W or more resistor, to discharge them down to less than 1Vdc. Monitor the voltage across the cap with a DMM.

Last edited:
The originals are Adcom rebranded, 10,000uF/63V (x4). But I believe they are actually by Towa Electron Co. LTD. Because...uh...they actually also say Towa. :)

Digikey has epcos and vishay caps in those values. You can also replace those with higher rating such as 15000uf /80v. If you go this route just make sure you replace the bridge rectifiers with higher value.

Last edited:
Connect a DMM across one of the PS caps using clip leads. Keep your hands out of the chassis. Plug the amp in, turn it on, and record voltage reading.

50V sounds right though. I was just wondering how close Adcom speced the voltage rating. 63Vdc caps should be fine.

Bridges should already be 25A@ 400V , good for a much larger amp - they are fine. The adcom is one of the only amps built like a DIY one ! :)
No load voltage is about 54-0-54vdc - I have gutted one for a DIY build.

OS

Attachments

• 545.jpg
    545.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 117
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.