amplifier troubleshooting question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2003, 03:53 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Faulty Technician ?.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diode
Damned techs....

Yup, I know the feeling. At least he got the polarity right. Sometimes I get the polarity wrong especially when there is no silkscreen and the mechanical drawing is ****-poor. (Galian-Kruger) is terrible about that as well as OLD Peavey stuff! Oh well, Sometimes it is my job to let the smoke out of parts that have too much smoke pressure. My boss once told me "Well, there ain't any ****** left in it anymore...." I scratched my head and he said "Yeah! you blew the ****** out of it!" Funny-guy, funny-guy........ He always says that when people blow up their speakers and are in for re-cone.

Chris
Hi Chris,
I use a black marker pen to denote transistor types, connectors etc before I remove them.
I find this is quick, easy and saves time, money, trouble and grief.
And also going to your boss and saying " Ummm, I am an idiot and I blew the amp up AGAIN, and I need more new parts".
Where I come from there is NO excuse for making mistakes like these, and in my younger days a mistake like this meant getting the coffees and lunches for the whole workshop for the next week, as well as the drubbing so richly deserved.
A workshop chant at the time was the six P's - Prior Preparation Prevents A P*ss Poor Performance.

You have been told ,
Eric.
Old 19th August 2003, 05:30 AM   #12
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Default check t18

you could have reverse connected it, the emitters of t8 and t9 are connected to each other thru r22 and c6 and as per you schematic is not connected to the output line so i was wondering how you were able to get a 1khz signal out at all....or maybe you just connected the base and emmiters of the outputs but not the collectors, so in this case it iwas possible you got a signal out...is this what happened?
Old 19th August 2003, 08:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

For the record, I also use a variac with the lightbulb, BUT the lightbulb is the most important, and many of my new designs won't even come on until a minimum voltage is reached, so the variac is not as useful as it used to be for me.
Old 20th August 2003, 05:00 AM   #14
Diode is offline Diode  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Eric,

Yeah, I do make the occasional mistake, especially when being hurried. I'm not a good hurrier and I hate pressure. I also work for a good guy who knows the price of doing business. He also knows that its just life and it will happen time to time, even from himself. Hell, If I had to do the things you mentioned, I would have left the business long ago and did something else. The pressure of rebuilding a 2000W amp knowing you just dropped a couple hundred dollars into the final stage alone, mixed with the consequences of being out of pocket the money for lunches for a week, I wouldn't tollerate and I never would have learned a lot of valuable lessons and gotten where I am today. You are right though.... A couple times of that and repairs would be a lot more thorough. I'm not being paid hourly and time is a luxury I don't have else bills don't get paid. When I DID get paid hourly, I was always behind schedule by a month, well, at least that's what was said in meetings...... BOSSES, you can't please em..... I don't believe in perfection but some people are just plain better or luckier than others. I mark things where and when I can but sometimes it just ain't your day........ Interesting bit of culture there..... Thanks for sharing!

Chris
Old 20th August 2003, 07:15 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris
You got me slightly wrong there.
In the case of self employment (current situation) if I make a mistake and blow something, I get to pay for the new parts and that erodes any profit I was meant to make on the job - all the more reason to be meticulous.
In the case of previous employment, if I blew something I did not have to pay except for having to admit my mistake.
The workshop punishment was to be the lunchboy, which meant going to the local lunchbar and collecting everybody's orders, but not paying for them.
Aussie culture is such that if a mistake is made in a group situation, the group gets to know about it, and the offender is reminded of their stupidity - nothing personal.

Eric.
Old 21st August 2003, 03:58 AM   #16
Diode is offline Diode  United States
diyAudio Member

Eric,
Aaaaah, I get it.

Not the first time I have misunderstood someone and won't be the last. I know what you meant about being self employed though. I do usually offer to pay for my mistakes especially if incredibly stupid!

Later,

Chris
Old 21st August 2003, 03:15 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default just got it working!

Hi All,

I'm not using a transformer just several car batteries in series. Last night I figured out what I did wrong. I accidently shorted the base to the collector on one of the output transistors and that resulted in my problems. I couldn't even see the damn short but my meter registered it. As soon as I get everything squared away I'll post some pictures.

To joan2: Yep, I connected the feedback loop to the output of the driver transistors so it would work without the output transistors.

Thanks again!
Randy

Hide this!Advertise here!