Is it audio heresy to put some new guts in to a vintage Sony 3140f 35 watt power amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Following my recent road to Damascus realisation that valves (tubes) really are better than transistors, this looks like a nice victim to make into a valve and transistor-output hybrid, but would it be more ethical to fix it and put it on ebay or re gut it and transform it in to a much better sounding amp. I have no idea how covetable these amps are apart from the fact that it is cute....

any opinions welcome

SONY TA-3140F SM Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

(get manual)

Tough call.
Arguments for fix-n-sell:
1) No risk of getting burned on the DIYaudio-purist-bonfire,
2) getting cash to buy new parts, when building a new one from scratch
3) you can decide all aspects of your tubeamp yourself

Arguments for gut-n-build-new-inside:
4) Outside result is already nice,
5) It is already broken ( right?) so it needs some kind of mending - why not make it 'better'
6) Even if you did fix it back to original standard - would it then be sellable at all, and for how many bucks?
7) It doesn't appear to have any unique features worth saving for historical reasons (such as V-FETs) and therefore DIYaudio purist might not get offended anyway.

I often go the CashMart to buy DUFF amplifiers just for the cases. In this case the cases are not even worth saving.

Their only worth really is for the newbie that wants to "learn". The amps are a simple design that should not be too difficult to fix. As you have given no clue as to the fault, that statement could prove very false.

Antique transistors can be hard to find, substitutes might be disappointing. If the mains transformer(s) are faulty then you may or may not be able to fit substitute parts.

Historically manufacturers used to use custom built transformers. You might find that the voltages are unobtainable or even multiple.

I really wouldn't bother.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.