Holton Lateral Amp (Pic post)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Here are some pics of my version of the Holton Lateral amplifier using Exicon Mosfets.
I have attached the board layout, this is my own design. If Anthony Holton disagrees with this being posted here please say so and it can be removed.
Pic 1:

Attachments

• closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,335
Nice work! :nod:

I just want to comment your drivers. This arrangement is very sensitive to vibrations and chocks (not a problem in your case maybe, the amp will be at home and not moved around). Shorten the transistor pins and fixate the heatsinks with glue. Copper pins are rather weak when it comes to bendning back and forth.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Peranders, the amps will be in the horizontal position and the heatsinks are not very heavy so I think it won't be a problem, but point taken.

AudioPT, Yeah I see now that I have left "pwp" out of my URL, don't worry though your not missing anything at the moment, I just use the space to host pictures. I must get around to cleaning is up at some point.
I think this board could be condensed down to a very small size but at the moment it meets my requirements, feel free to modify the layout and post it back.

I haven't lisened to these amps yet, I was doing final scope testing and power testing yesterday when I mistakenly connected the output of my function generaator to the +50v lead instead of the i/p lead:bawling: a moment later the generator went bang:bigeyes: Doh!!
I will let you all know how it sounds after the weekend.

matth said:
Thanks for the comments guys.

Peranders, the amps will be in the horizontal position and the heatsinks are not very heavy so I think it won't be a problem, but point taken.
In industrial environments heavy things on long leads is a big :no:

"Heavy" is not very heavy in order to get you into trouble but as a genreal rule: keep big caps, heatsinks, transformers etc. tightened to the pcb with screws or glue.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
An alternative view (about 180 degrees out):

If you have things that can move wrt each other, you NEED to have some lead length to prevent things from cracking and/or breaking.

Don't shorten the transistor leads, they are necessary to pick up any movement relative to the PCB when heating and cooling.

Jan Didden

janneman said:
Don't shorten the transistor leads, they are necessary to pick up any movement relative to the PCB when heating and cooling.
As I said keep all radial parts pins short but axial parts like diodes, caps, resistors must have some "expanding room" especially if they are hot. Don't bend the legs too close to the body or with too small radius. Keep all parts close the pcb unless you have very special reasons for like very hot resistors which needs cooling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.