Square Law Class A Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
in the latest edition of the fabulous Linear Audio magazine we have a comprehensive article about a so-called Square-Law Class-A amp written by Ian Hegglun.

I find this design quite remarkable and appealing and I'm musing over building it.
Are there inmates who build this thing? How did it compare soundwise to your stuff?
I freely admit that I didn't really get how the arrangement of the floating supply would ensure the amplifiers gain.

I would love a discussion about that design here.

I did a search and to my surprise I found no thread concerning this amp, should it exist we'd probably don't need another one...

Rüdiger

Hi Rüdiger, I just got my copy of Linear Audio vol 1 last week, and I too think this concept sounds very interesting.

I am though in the middle of building a Pass F5, and have some of the items to build a F4 also, so I will probably not be ready to participate on building a square-law Class A amp soon.

Did you get any experience, or did you give up the project.

Regard
Arthur.

Schottky Diodes have square law curves, and much lower voltage drop than other
such device (MOSFET diode for example) you could throw in series with a totem to
sense and shape conversion of linear voltage to complimentary square law currents.

A recurring theme in most of my schematics, search my recent threads. I have not
seen what Hegglund has done for comparison, can you point to any drawing of his
that isn't hiding behind a subscription fee?

Voltage across Schottky stack deliberately insufficient to bias
all four diodes ON at the same time. Yet plenty high enough
to turn on two, and hard... Or all four jammed halfway-on,
riding the curve. Square law curve, if those Schottkys are
sized right...

R7 provides some always-on - do-nothing-reserve current.
Even if a Schottky might turn off, transistors still conduct
this small amount.

Attachments

• AllisonAleph1.gif
    AllisonAleph1.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,767
Last edited:
Undegenerated complementary (or circlotron) lateral MOSFET outputs are already pretty much D2S to start from, plus they have the desireable feature that the transfer characteristic tends to flatten out to linear at higher currents. Exactly what is required to drive a "square-law" amp into class-B and maintaining transconductance. N-ch tend to have higher gm and lower capacitance, so a gate divider works out nicely as gate stopper and attenuator to get the transfer statically and dynamically complementary. That's IMHO why lateral outputs have something to them, raising interest as can be seen on this forum, lately.

Kenpeter's Allison O/S looks promising, too, when getting all 4 Schottkys a bit conducting at idle, otherwise the voltage transfer has a dead zone a global feedback would have to deal with.

- Klaus

Last edited:
Voltage across Schottky stack deliberately insufficient to bias
all four diodes ON at the same time. Yet plenty high enough
to turn on two, and hard... Or all four jammed halfway-on,
riding the curve. Square law curve, if those Schottkys are
sized right...

R7 provides some always-on - do-nothing-reserve current.
Even if a Schottky might turn off, transistors still conduct
this small amount.

Hi Kenpeter
I found simulating your design with LTSpice, that above input voltage 10Vpp is completely unstable, oscilating like mad, could you send asc file for this circuit, I will compare it with mine to find my eventualy mistakes... thanks in advance!

square law behavior

I discovered the folder where this old .asc file had been hiding.

Hi, I noticed that you changed the topology from common source to voltage follower. Hegglun mentions this as a means to reduce the output resistance, and also avoid using the floating power supply. This will require a more traditional gain stage (VAS).

Does the voltage follower configuration in your circuit effect the square law behavior?

/Mason

current amp wins

> I freely admit that I didn't really get how the arrangement
> of the floating supply would ensure the amplifiers gain.

Square law stuff aside, the gain comes from the fact it is
a common source output. I built this and it works as
it simulates:

:scratch:... and I know the secret of incedible sound from this simple circuit...:cloud9:
it is V to I converter:yes:
now you have only to damp peak resonants of your speakers/crossovers:cheerful:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.