♫♪ My little cheap Circlophone© ♫♪ - Page 72 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2012, 12:00 PM   #711
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
What do you mean exactly?
I do not know how much margin is required by the regulator board itself. A way to see the real question is: What is the minimum margin if not considering any other conditions? For example, what is the minimum margin for the regulator if fed by a source that would not have any significant rail sag?

P.S.
I can then add to the minimum, 1v estimated rectifier noise, and also add the pull down figure from my transformer's datasheet to total up a reasonable heavy load figure to use for the difference between input voltage versus zener?
Old 27th February 2012, 12:35 PM   #712
diyAudio Member

Default It seems ready for prospective builders..

Ok, I think it is at finish for now. Amplifier itself with this layout hasn't noise pick up issue (at least with a clean source or nothing connected as source) despite its tremendous input gain.

Hope you enjoy the silence of Circlophone..
This pcb layout has reported as faulty by its author. Please refer to post #780
♫♪ My little cheap Circlophone© ♫♪
Follow later posts for fixed and actual version.
File Type: pdf Circlophone-CFP-PCB1.pdf (89.3 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Pano; 18th March 2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Request of terranigma
Old 27th February 2012, 04:01 PM   #713
heinz is offline heinz  Germany
diyAudio Member

I like your layout. :-)

You could leave more space between the 2n3019 , to be able to mount a cooler. I my build the bd140 run quite hot too ...
Old 27th February 2012, 05:33 PM   #714
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
I do not know how much margin is required by the regulator board itself. A way to see the real question is: What is the minimum margin if not considering any other conditions? For example, what is the minimum margin for the regulator if fed by a source that would not have any significant rail sag?
Under static conditions, the drop-out can be up to 3V, depending on the output current.

Paradoxically, with the ripple present, the dynamic drop-out will be somewhat lower, because of the peak rectification effect of D3 with C3.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:40 PM   #715
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz View Post
I like your layout. :-)

You could leave more space between the 2n3019 , to be able to mount a cooler. I my build the bd140 run quite hot too ...
Thanks. You could see that there are lots of modifications.

Leaving more space between 3019's was in my mind too, but I considered its side effects. An alternative version that may have ~10mm gap is possible due to request.

BD140's are hot indeed but stays still in modest levels.

Last edited by terranigma; 27th February 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:04 PM   #716
diyAudio Member

Terra, your PCB has the same amount of gain 10k/470.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:07 PM   #717
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseybmx414 View Post
Terra, your PCB has the same amount of gain 10k/470.
I meant open-loop gain.

Elvee's brief:

♫♪ My little cheap Circlophone© ♫♪
Old 28th February 2012, 04:33 AM   #718
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranigma View Post
Thanks. You could see that there are lots of modifications.

Leaving more space between 3019's was in my mind too, but I considered its side effects. An alternative version that may have ~10mm gap is possible due to request.

BD140's are hot indeed but stays still in modest levels.
Suitable big inexpensive schottky diodes include SR504, SB540. The 50v and 60v editions have a less optimal voltage drop pattern, according to the datasheets. We're not utilizing the reverse voltage tolerance anyway and so a 20v model could do fine. For derating at this area, higher amperage tolerance is primary consideration. If you play as loud as I do, SB360 is a bad idea twice because it is only 3a with extraneous voltage drop, and so that sort of derating is not as helpful as an SR502, which is 5a with much less voltage drop. See the datasheets for forward voltage versus current charts.
For reference, consider that Polarized power caps on this same circuit have reverse tolerance of about 1v or less so it is fortunate that we're not consuming reverse voltage tolerances in this area.

At the area of 3019, there is heat pooling that could be resolved with a fan or with more favorable spacing or with adding drillings underneath the devices to allow airflow to remove the heat pooling. The resistors in that area also suffer heat pooling and should have a bit wider spacing.

At the area of BD140, there is heat pooling that could be resolved by adding 3 or 4 drillings underneath the heat spreader. However, we shouldn't use a heat spreader instead of a heatsink--A straight up wall gives minimalistic opportunity to conduct heat into air, since a heat spreader without a heatsink is a fast road to nowhere, and that plus no possible air movement, is why your drivers are hot.
Instead of so much heat, the BD140 heatsink should be a good size L-channel (or "T" channel) with holes in and under the L-channel to promote air movement, up, through, and around the heatsink. Then the drivers will stay cooler and decrease the risk of cooking the nearby passive parts.
Also, it would be great to have optional drillings so that the power caps could be located in such a way as to allow the BD140 heatsink to be wider than the board, and it would be nice to decrease capacitor heat exposure.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 28th February 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 28th February 2012, 06:32 AM   #719
diyAudio Member

It seems that suitably low voltage drop SR, SB diodes (20v, 30v, 40v) are in short supply; however MBR735, MBR745 are widely available.
Old 29th February 2012, 05:48 AM   #720
diyAudio Member

Ok, How about this?

16mm diameter decoupling capacitors still possible if output transistors should solder from bottom of pcb which is optimum case for this layout. PCB dimension is 75x55 mm. If it cut out as 75x58-60, decoupling caps can be supported more efficiently. In this case ground plate can be widened with a permanent marker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CFP-PCB2.jpg (190.3 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by terranigma; 29th February 2012 at 05:57 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!