♫♪ My little cheap Circlophone© ♫♪ - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2011, 12:23 PM   #281
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
it has nothing to do with the ppm, it has to do with spectra of distortion...
Could you elaborate on this?
Old 20th September 2011, 10:23 PM   #282
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseybmx414 View Post
I know about thermal distortion, but I am so satisfied with the sound that I am not going to change anything. Maybe I'll put it in a solid block of epoxy
I'm on the way, but I have to finish my speakers in couple days.

While preparing pcb's, did you realize that situation issued at post#274 ?
Old 21st September 2011, 08:12 AM   #283
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Wakibaki has kindly offered a fix for this (very minor) problem:
Attached Files
File Type: zip circlophone_fix_4 - CADCAM.ZIP (55.4 KB, 107 views)
Old 21st September 2011, 12:24 PM   #284
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranigma View Post
I'm on the way, but I have to finish my speakers in couple days.

While preparing pcb's, did you realize that situation issued at post#274 ?
Yes, I did, and, looking at the schematic told me the quick easy fix. Otherwise, PCBs are just fine.

I cannot complain, other than the holes for the power supply input and the output transistor connections are somewhat small. Some careful enlarging of the holes and careful soldering and you can use larger diameter wire though.

What output transistors/drivers are you using terra? Just curious. I used 2SB649A's and MJW21196's. And what compensation do you plan to start with? I started right out with 270pF for C12 and build the circuit with C11 in place. I had no issues and still haven't, and it sounds better than I thought possible. I could lower C12 and/or try without C11 but I do not wish to change it, at least not for a while.

I have read of dominant 2nd order distortion sounding great and musical but lacking fine detail. I have heard of dominant 3rd having "detail" (or the feeling of?) but not sounding very musical. Then I hear the Circlophone, and I have more detail in the music than I have ever heard, and I am talking about songs I have been listening to since I was a kid. On top of that it is so musical and "sweet" than I always want to switch it on and play music, even in the most inappropriate situations.

But, good that you're not just taking my word for it and you are going to build it and find out for yourself.

What speakers are you building?

Last edited by odysseybmx414; 21st September 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 21st September 2011, 06:15 PM   #285
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseybmx414 View Post
Yes, I did, and, looking at the schematic told me the quick easy fix. Otherwise, PCBs are just fine.

I cannot complain, other than the holes for the power supply input and the output transistor connections are somewhat small. Some careful enlarging of the holes and careful soldering and you can use larger diameter wire though.
I'm planning to use oldschool pcb pins on those holes. Thus, hole diameter will not an issue for me anyway. I like PCB's with old looking fashion and well applied plate grounding feature. I think plate grounding helps for amp's silence.

Quote:
What output transistors/drivers are you using terra? Just curious. I used 2SB649A's and MJW21196's. And what compensation do you plan to start with? I started right out with 270pF for C12 and build the circuit with C11 in place. I had no issues and still haven't, and it sounds better than I thought possible. I could lower C12 and/or try without C11 but I do not wish to change it, at least not for a while.
I want to use japan bjt's on small signal side as much as possible. I just edited pdf file for fitting 2sa devices on front side (Q1, Q3, Q4 in original schematic). That may not necessary if you know what type of transistors you are using but I could'nt help myself on this. Four matched pairs (I'm planning to build 4 channels in total if everything goes right) of 2sa970's are ready. Q12 and Q13 are will be 2sc2240.

I found gold plated Motorola 2N3020's at a local supplier and I want to use them in place of 2N3019's. I think 1.8pF Ccob 2sc2705's are perfect in place of Q5,Q6. But I like metal can devices, then those 2sc2705's may wait for chance.

As drivers, I prefer fabulous devices.. and 2sa1930's are ready.

I got plenty of NPN TO3 metal case power transistors. Those are Moto, Toshiba 2N3773 , MJ15003, 2SD110 and maybe some others. I like tweak with parts. I think I will choose output trannies after tweaking. Circlophone is a great project for these king of power transistors. These devices on my hand are generally 1-4mhz range slow but robust devices. Then my C12 will be 180pF, maybe 270pF. I think another important issue with C12 is its material. Silver mica or C0G/NP0 ceramic types must be used in my opinion.

Quote:
I have read of dominant 2nd order distortion sounding great and musical but lacking fine detail. I have heard of dominant 3rd having "detail" (or the feeling of?) but not sounding very musical. Then I hear the Circlophone, and I have more detail in the music than I have ever heard, and I am talking about songs I have been listening to since I was a kid. On top of that it is so musical and "sweet" than I always want to switch it on and play music, even in the most inappropriate situations.
Thank you for encouraging comments. When you look at the schematic, you capture that Designer's (Thanks for Elvee) free minded sensation and point of view easily.. No emitter resistors, no complementary devices, no bias trimmers, no fabulous boutique parts..

Quote:
But, good that you're not just taking my word for it and you are going to build it and find out for yourself.

What speakers are you building?
I'm trying build a vented box with well regarded B&C 12PE32 mid-bass' and other B&C gem, DE-250 as compression drivers. 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley crossovers just finished. Box is ready except vents and horn cutouts. This driver combination is great for acoustic and live music..And they are waiting for their Circlophone!

Last edited by terranigma; 21st September 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:29 AM   #286
diyAudio Member

not to offend, but i did some minor redrawing to improve readability, also based on physical location of components. keep in mind that Q7 should be close to Q2, but that would mess up the schematic.
Click the image to open in full size.

i'm also almost finished with a single-layer PCB

Last edited by powerflux; 18th October 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:24 AM   #287
diyAudio Member

Wow,cool.do you have plan to make a pcb for it? Or make it commercial project? I think I can build sample of this amp for free if you have the plan .
Old 18th October 2011, 10:37 AM   #288
diyAudio Member

V0.1

Click the image to open in full size.

i left out the supply caps.

happy about:
- almost fully closed ground plane
- small (7.7x5.7 cm)
- only one connection has to be made manually (red)
- components are physically close to each other when preferred, see schematic
- output-stage can be easily modified

unhappy about:
- location of ground connector

Last edited by powerflux; 18th October 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:32 PM   #289
diyAudio Member

Nice design. Have you already finished the design?
Old 18th October 2011, 02:57 PM   #290
diyAudio Member

ignore my v0.1 of PCB and schematic, made an error with Q7.

will update soon

edit: silly me. need more coffee! it was allready correct. still, the 0.2 PCB is better

Last edited by powerflux; 18th October 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!