Does solder quality have an adverse effect on sound? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2003, 05:32 AM   #11
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfeedback

Multicore make 96S solder (96Tin/4Silver) and this sounds the best ...

I have used the 96tin/4silver solder. I am glad to hear that it provides us with the best sound. By the way, I also often use 60lead/40tin solder with the approximately same results. In my opinion, with respect to the resulting sound, the important thing is making the good quality of physical and electrical connection between component lead and base metal, and using the solder material of good purity whatever it is.

Old 14th August 2003, 05:52 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Diode
To answer your question.... YES, it does make a difference in sound. That's a pureist point of view though and we all know that the pureists live on Pluto.

I use one of two Multicore types (other brands will be similar). One is called Savbit, that's a eutectic 63/37 with a trace of copper to protect the bit. The other is similar with about 2% silver for use when soldering silver or silver plated wire.

I'm not convinced it makes enough of a difference to get that anal about it, especially until your joints are mil-spec.
Old 14th August 2003, 10:27 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Without being anal or anything, I have found solders to sound surprisingly different.
60/38/2Cu is quite ok, 96S is rather better to my ears, and LMP drives me out of the room real quick.
On initial listening 96S might seem a little dullish sounding but on closer listening more detail is revealed compared to Savbit or 60/40, and when going back, the lead/tin solders sound wrong, and coloured.
LMP 60/38/2Silver initially sounds bright and detailed, but on extended listening I find it wrongly falsely bright/clangy, and the overall sound drives me up the wall.
Savbit is a cheap and a good compromise, and 96S the best/most pleasant in my experience.
This subject has been discussed previously and the concensus was in accord with my findings.
One member used lengths of solder wire as interconnect wires, and found these same preferences.

Eric.
Old 15th August 2003, 03:18 AM   #14
Diode is offline Diode  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Eric,

I agree with you but you must admit that there is only about 2% of the worlds population who can really hear differences that 98% of us can't. There are about 98% of "pureists" that "think" they can hear something and the other 2% of those..... WELLLLLLL...... Maybe with the right combination of gear can maybe 5% more of us hear any difference. Can I hear .009% THD? UHHH-NO! Can I hear .01%? Probably not. Can I hear 1% Yeah, probably.... but only under extreme conditions. Can I hear a difference in solder? Not unless there is a bad joint and it is causing niose or something. I'm getting to the age that the only things I care about are QUIET, RESPONSIVE, and CLEAN. No hiss, hum and lots of headroom. When a car blows up in a movie, I don't want the pictures on the wall to buzz lightly and the speaker to rumble with distortion. I want the BOOOOOM and the pictures to come off the wall I want to feel the bass, not be annoyed by a pathetic speaker and crappy amp. When there is a silent scene, I DO NOT want to hear SHHHHHHH or HUMMMMMMMMMMM! Solder doesn't take care of that so much..... DESIGN does........

Best wishes,
Chris
Old 15th August 2003, 03:32 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Corn-Picker,

My AKSA 55 amp kit came complete with solder, so you don't need to worry. Whatever Hugh supplied works well giving a nice clean joint with a shiny finish.

I have done a few amps now and I consider the AKSA PCB to be best I have worked on. Although the PCB is reasonably compact Hugh has desgined it with large pads, wide tracks and a solder mask. I was very pleased with the results and I am fussy.

Tha AKSA was my first amp and I think it is still the best.
Old 15th August 2003, 05:26 AM   #16
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Diode

only about 2%

Majority of diyAudio members seems to be from the 2%-world. Who know...?

Old 15th August 2003, 06:08 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

As earlier stated, the Aksa comes with solder that works just fine.
Don't worry about the solder!!! Practise will give you a good solder joint as you can see it. Soldering is YES/NO. There isn't enough solder in a joint to alter the sound. But a NO solder joint with the fanciest solder will give a very dissapointing result.
Just do it!!!!! Don't worry!!!!
The Aksa is a splendid amplifier that puts many high priced amps to shame....

Ah, get a magnifying glass and examine each joint after you do it.
There is no better, or easier, quality control......
Old 15th August 2003, 07:43 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Majority of diyAudio members seems to be from the 2%-world
Not sure about that at all. A highish percentage of tin in the ears seems to dominate
Old 15th August 2003, 08:14 AM   #19
bocka is offline bocka  Germany
diyAudio Member

Eric,

did you listened to lead/Ag-free pure tin as well? Maybe 99C or similar? I don't think Ag is a good solution if one is soldering copper plated PCBs, where is't any silver on the surface.
Old 15th August 2003, 10:12 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

No I have not tried 99C yet, although I intend to do so in the near future.

Eric.

Hide this!Advertise here!