What happened to the "digital amp revolution"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
all the same when they pass a certain quality standard

For the masses, every light bulb is the same, they all pass the same standard.
Yet, for 1% maybe, 99% of all bulb varieties range from tiresome to sheer horror.

Pops up the question mark at times, why part of "the mass" spends so much time on audio fora.
Is it mainly for news of the latest gadgets ? As in participating at the McDrive forum, they all taste the same and all future products will as well, but one's always curious how the next paper-wrapped will be named ?

No criticism or intent to flog off anything, i could care less if someone's into snake oil or quantifiable engineering, just curious.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
General note on this thread

Please don't mix personal remarks in otherwise useful posts. There is no need to characterize each other. You may attack ideas as hard as you like, skip the personal thing. If this bad trend continues, moderation will give strong penalties to the boxing protagonists, will wipe useful posts, and lock the thread. You have been warned. :captain:

Or the Devialet...

Did anybody listen to the NAD M2???
Could be a very hard to beat digital amp ...
Yeah, the M2 and the Devialet amps look very interesting. Also, Mark Levinson's work with the Intersil amp-on-a-chip products looks like it could be very cool, as it integrates high level DSP capabilities and also can take a straight digital input like the above units.

I keep on hoping that someone here could come up with a something like the Devialet but using a really good tube amp section for the classA part and a well thought out class D complement for the high power section - which apparently runs in parallel with the class A? - memories of Peter Walker and the current dumping amps.... I wouldn't begin to take a stab at such a beast, but maybe we can get some of the resident amp experts here to come up with something.

Or maybe we should ask Nelson Pass to have a look at sumthin' like Devialet, we'd end up with a pretty great DIY project...he does some amazingly cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.