My Jung SuperReg PCB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2003, 06:42 PM   #11
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Since you are at it why not line up all the in/out pads and distance/size them for some screw type connectors?

ALW has the negative board available, for the price just email him. I am sure he quoted me the higher price...
Old 12th August 2003, 06:59 PM   #12
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default That explains the explosion of webhits!

Boy my weblog's been going mad, now I know why!

Looks a lot like my Jung PCB

I'm flattered that anyone should choose to copy my PCB design, it's the sincerest form of praise, but there is an easier way

I do sell these, but don't promote it, simply because I couldn't cope with big demands. I only sell the kits upon request for that reason - I did the board for my own use, but the demand was overwhelming. I've sold over 100 so far, through word of mouth.

It's not been unknown for me to send the Gerber or Eagle files to non-UK residents, solely because it's often less hassle than me supplying kits with my current workload.

I do have a negative version available too, as is mentioned in the manual I have available on my website.

I'd also add that some things may have changed since a lot of my website was written, if you read my postings here you'll be able to deduce some of them, actual customers get free upgrades

The pre-reg adj pin does connect to the super-reg o/p and produces an input voltage 2.5V above the o/p, i.e. it maintains 2.5V across the super-reg. This scheme has advantages and disadvantages, but the overall balance is this scheme works best, but if I were doing it again now, I would do things differently.

The basic PCB works well though, both sonically and technically and is a good basis for comparison with mod's to the design or alternative topologies. They're stable and trouble-free.

The board posted above does have one advantage though - the 3x7 adj pin cap is now on-board.

It has a BIG disadvantage though - the AD797!

The AD825 is more stable and sounds better - and the board above has no SOIC option. The schematic on my site shows the AD797, 'cos I was too lazy to do and AD825 symbol in Eagle.

Don't use the AD797

Enjoy!

Andy.
Old 12th August 2003, 07:13 PM   #13
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since you are at it why not line up all the in/out pads and distance/size them for some screw type connectors
I get the feeling that a regulator with potentially an o/p Z in the uOhm range (depending upon error amp) would be better with soldered connections.

Screw terminals?

We're not into mass-production here are we

Andy.
Old 12th August 2003, 11:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default I see what you mean

Andrew was kind enough to send me a copy of his manual that I was able to open. Sorry Grataky, you where right, most of the info that I provided on this post is there.

Andrew, you are right. My PCB is almost identical to yours and I used only your parts location and schematic to guide me. I guest that in this case the form follow the function

I will use the AD825 then.

Thanks Andrew to be such a great help.
Old 13th August 2003, 08:29 AM   #15
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Algar_emi,

ALW's PCB looks better, sorry.

Some ideas for your PCB are on picture.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg algar1.jpg (50.0 KB, 1945 views)
Old 13th August 2003, 11:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default PCB ideas

Very good suggestions. I will implement them. Thanks.
Old 13th August 2003, 04:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default The Final version using AD825

Following AWL recommendation, here my last version using the AD825 SMT package. I will try this version this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jung pos_b.jpg (40.0 KB, 1674 views)
Old 16th August 2003, 12:46 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Positive Reg completed

I just finish my prototype of the Positive reg. Working just fine without any oscillation. I'm using the AD825. Found a small error on my PCB with C6. Did a small correction on the PCB. I will post the final Pos/Neg version when I'm done.

I will try to build the negative version this week.

To try their sound I will use them to supply my SuperDAC op-amp line stage and see if they improve the sound compare to a simple LM317 supply.
Old 18th August 2003, 01:10 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Picture of the Positive Prototype

Picture of the Positive Prototype. I installed little connector for R8/R9 so I can select different voltages. With R8=R9=1K I got +15.22V at the output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my jung pos.jpg (87.8 KB, 1543 views)
Old 18th August 2003, 04:11 AM   #20
ghetto is offline ghetto  United States
diyAudio Member

That looks very nice

Are you planning on having a batch produced at a PCB house? Would you be interested doing somewhat of a "group buy"?

Hide this!Advertise here!