Balanced input buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I'm looking for recommendations on balanced input buffers. I should note I'm open to both discrete and opamp based designs.
Excellent bench performance, low cost & part count would be some desirable features. ;)

The buffers are going to be installed on a power amp with low input impedance.

Thanks in advance for your input (buffers)! :p

Last edited:
Fully differential or single ended? If the latter I've used the LME49710, LME49713, and LME49990 in standard differential op amp configuration. Can't hear or measure any difference in the amp's output between them---if you want low cost the LME49720 and LME49740 are logical optimizations. If fully differential I'd default to the LME49724.

Susumu has a nice line of precision resistors in 0402 up to 1206. Here in the US their 0.1% are USD 0.40 to 0.62 in DIY quantities, depending on package size.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys.

homemodder, I knew there'd be a JLH design that's missing from my shortlist. Yes I already have JFETs, matched and everything. Thanks for the heads-up.

peranders, I might take you up on that offer. I was thinking of donating to Diyaudio anyway. ;)

twest820, yes, I'd rather go fully differential if I could. It's just that those are harder to come by than single ended ones. Of course I might end up implementing a Datasheet circuit.. :)
As for resistors, I was thinking MELF but thanks for reminding me of Susumu!

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Theshaman,

if you are simply looking to buffer a balanced audio signal, you can probably also just use a 4562 and run both halves unity gain. What is your load?

My buffer design you refer to runs in class A, but if your load is not too heavy, you can also do this with just the op-amps as well.

Anyway - good luck with your project!

Load is not that extreme.. The power amps I'm talking about have a "stock" input impedance of around 8k.
Most preamps or even an adequately robust DAC output stage should have no trouble driving the power amp directly. I'm only looking to buffer it to make the input sort of more... "universal" (I assume some folks will try to drive it directly from their source or use some silly high output impedance preamp etc).

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Then a good approach here will be to use a 4562 set for unity gain. This opamp will easily drive 600 ohms at <10ppm distortion out well beyond 20KHz at 2VRMS output. Remember to put a 47 Ohm resistor in series with the output(as close to the opamp as possible) and to decouple the supply rails.

You wont need the full class A buffer for this, but if you want to make sure you are in class A with the 8k input impeadance of the power amp, I'd tie a 2.2k resistor from the output of the opamps to the -ve rail.

Here is another option, from Juma. (Front-end only ofc)

Low parts count on these things will probably let me fool around a bit before choosing one.

As for power supply I'm considering a shunt type (Salas). Up to now this has been the best PS I've tried. It'll be a tight fit and I'll have to check the available space in the enclosure, but I think I'll make it.
If it won't fit a compact LM design will have to suffice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.