Adcom GFA-555 Blew main fuse after turning on in bridged mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
Just picked up a Adcom GFA-555, all was fine. The next day I bridged it, (properly) when I turned it on the main fuse blew. Okay ... so I put it back in stereo mode, and it blew the main again. Okay ... next time I removed all of the rail fuses, and it still blew the main. Does this sound familiar to anybody? I can try to get my money back or haggle for a discount since it is broke, but as you can tell, I have no idea what I am getting into.

Back story: I have another 555 that was bridged to the other speaker and that one is still fine.

Chime in, if you can. Thanks

If it still blew the main fuse even after you removed the rail fuses, then (assuming that the rail fuses remove any kind of connection between the transformer and the amplifiers) it looks like you may have a faulty mains transformer. How this could've been caused by a faulty bridge mode, I don't know as transformers usually hold up pretty well against faults on the secondary side.

Why it blew the first time may be difficult to say, but it could've blown the second time due to the wrong fuse type being used. Did you replace it with a slow blow/time lag fuse?

Also, when wiring it in bridge mode, did you wire the speaker between the two positive outputs of the amplifier (neither speaker lead grounded)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.