Split-supply to single-supply conversion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings (again),

Just a quick one: is there any simple way of converting a normal, split-supply amp, to work with a single-supply?

From my fiddlings in LTspice, it seems to be only a matter of providing an adequate mid-supply voltage to the input reference, but there might be implications i'm not entirely aware of... Hence my request for input from brighter minds :rolleyes:

Yes, i AM aware of the inevitable output capacitor, but that's beside the / my point.

Ok, so far so good :) Nice to know...

Now, the amplifier in question is a slightly modded "Load-invariant" as per Dr. Self. Due to the low DC input impedance, i had to "offset" the resistive divider that gives the input bias voltage (6.8k from V+ to "mid", and 10k from "mid" to ground.

Might there be some slightly less... "barbaric" rules-of-thumb i could try to follow?

No, that's all you need..... but the fb AND input cap will now be heavily polarised (no bad thing!) so should be upgraded to approx 2/3 of the single rail voltage.

Insert a trimmer on the offset adjust so that you can adjust for perfectly symmetrical clip, that's a handy feature to maximise rail efficiency.

Hugh

Check Quad's psu...:)
http://quad405.com/606schematic.pdf
I've experimented with such psu on other amps and that's true that it is necessary to adjust it to get simetrical clip.....look at 606 schematic(9K1 and 10K resistors). But I suggest to bias this voltage splitter little higher. If I'm not wrong I've used 470E for R38 and R39 and transistors were MJE 15030/31.....with small heat sinks.
Best regards
Taj

It's more of a "complexity-saver" :D I'm planning to put together some sort of small-scale live PA setup, and i've already got a nice class-D single-supply full-bridge for the subs / mid-bass drivers, and a nice Self amp for the compression drivers. I was trying to make sure if and how i could hook up these tweeter amps across the same power supply :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the input :)

Well, on one hand, like i just mentioned, this is for a PA application, and on the other hand, LTspice says this should (?) be capable of 0.003% THD @ 10k, near full power (which it shouldn't reach anyway :p ), so... I think i might "have room" for some cap distortion, so to speak :) Plus, it'll only see use somewhere above 1KHz...

Mr Hugh, since i have your attention, might i be so bold as to ask you to take a peek into my other thread in this forum? :eek:

Mmmm...PA application
:)

Attachments

• Picture 1308.jpg
    Picture 1308.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 58
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.