Parallel Output with Allison Bias?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could something like this allow parallel outputs with Allison bias?

Attachments

• ClassA Parallel Allison.png
    ClassA Parallel Allison.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 154
I get the same THD in simulation with one pair or two. My main motivation is the spread the thermal stress out across more devices. I have only ever done class B prior and the extra heat from class A is making me perhaps a little cautious. My simmed 1k THD>8ohm is 0.0000048 and my 20k THD>8 ohm is 0.000846, and it shows it can take an impedance dip to about 5 ohm. In the parallel version I think I'd maybe go with a little more current and do .62 RE just for a little added immunity to impedance variation.

I found it interesting that adding additional outputs in class B designs seems to really improve performance but didn't really change anything in the class A design.

Do you change the emitter resistors when using singles (0.68=> 0.33)?
If so I think the results will not change much. MJL/NJL transistors have such a flat gain characteristic that whether they operate at 1A or 2A will not show so much difference.
I would only parallel them for higher powers.

John

John, for the single pair of outputs I was using 0.33 for the emitter resistors. I suppose it makes sense now that you mention the relatively flat gain of these devices that there would be little difference in performance, I just hadn't thought of it.

My notion was to spread the dissipation amongst more silicon. I know the amp will have to dissipate the same amount of heat, I just thought it might be easier on the devices if each was required to dissipate less individually. Maybe the notion is mis-guided. In the end I just wanted to see if I was on the right track for paralleling devices with this type of bias scheme. No one has told me it will explode :bomb: so it looks like it is worth exploring further. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.