Crystal Sound = SRPP ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some interesting claims to great sound, but it looks like a kind of SRPP to me. What say you ?

Definitely not an SRPP. It's an emitter follower with a CCS in the tail.

Crystal Sound System (CCStm) is the name of a new and patented Class A transistor amplifier circuit that combines the high linearity and accuarte sound of Class A with the high efficiency of Class AB. Yada, yada, yada

As if I haven't seen that before. :rolleyes: :D

Gareth,

I'm never quite sure why people are permitted to patent the bleeding obvious.

Distortion of an EF is inversely proportional to the impedance in the load. This circuit still not specify a load; performance will depend on that load as much as the fancy CCS.

The signal circuit is bread and dripping; only the CCS shows signs of originality. Nelson Pass has used something like this CCS in his SE circuits, but it offers, IMHO, no substantial advantage over the usual, conventional CCS.

Hugh

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The signal circuit is bread and dripping; only the CCS shows signs of originality. Nelson Pass has used something like this CCS in his SE circuits

Actually not. It is, however, a variation on things which I
have seen and/or played with. It's simple enough, and it
can maintain a technical Class A bias in that prevents
shutoff of the output devices, if not the diode.

You can also place diodes in parallel with the emitter
resistors of a push-pull complementary follower output stage
like Barney Oliver did.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.