Hafler DH 110 preamp problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I recently obtained a Hafler 110 preamp from a friend who had not used it in years. I am not getting any sound from the right channel. I also tried my headphones without the amplifier(DH 120)on, and I only had sound from the left side. Does this tell me it is definitely the preamp? What are the most likely causes? Thanks

Hi I have done some repair works on such preamp some years ago and there was heavily oxidated selector switch....if you can buy new,replace it if not try with some contact spray but it will solve problem just temporary....and there is also possible that some pot is breaking too. And more. It is also possible that there you have dry or defective cap. There is a lot of tantals in signal path and also some other electrolytics on tone control circuit and psu.... Regards and good luck

There are no Tantalum caps in this preamp as far as I can remember, but there are many aluminum electrolytics that go bad. Mine had issues in the mute timing circuit, C39 and C40, and I do think one of the mute FETs went bad also. I just pulled the FETs and the output thump was not that bad, but most of my power amps mute on power up anyway so I'm not sure how bad the preamp is.
I changed all the caps in the line stage, and would do the phono section also if I used it. Note that many of the electros are non-polar types which are not so common.

I purchased this at an Audio Show on Long Island in 1980 (I believe). Since that time it was used by 2 of my sons -- and came back owing to bad RCA's --- found another problem at the same time:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fixed:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

New Input connectors:

Will probably replace the floating LM317/337 regulators and install a ground loop breaker. The main input board ground is connected to the chassis at the phono inputs which will have to change as well.

I used similar rca sockets but mibe were gold . They came from Digikey or Mouser.
Most important change the muting jfets or just remove them as I did since I had so much trouble with them.
The worst problem of all is dirty or oxidized switches, get some Cramolin DE-OXIT.
sound wize replacing the cheap crap electrolytics on the output to some aerovox polypropylene caps was astoundimg!

Modern CD players put out larger peak to peak line level voltages than older gear like my Halfler DH-110 is used to seeing..... I think. My Oppo disk player has a volume control. If it is up all the way my Hafler DH-110 distorts badly.

Hmmm you shoud not be having a problem with the Oppo . The 110 has a pretty hefty output swing and the input overload level is pretty high as well. Once again I would suspect those pesky muting FET's, try pull them out and see if your distortion goes away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.