11 month old NAD c315 BEE croaked... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2011, 04:18 AM   #1
j beede is offline j beede  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 11 month old NAD c315 BEE croaked...

They sound good and punch above their weight but every NAD integrated amp I have ever owned has failed... Luckily I have only owned a couple. This time I am really disappointed because this little c315 BEE integrated was really doing a nice job in a modest media system--which was a new thing for us.

I had been leaving the NAD in "standby" so it could be turned on/off via remote since the mechanical on/off switch is on the back of the amp and is not convenient to reach in my rack. The amp is less than a year old. Today, instead of turning on and playing nicely it produced low output with heavy distortion for about 10 seconds then shut down with the red LED glowing. After cool down this sequence is repeatable. This model NAD does not have the external jumpers to allow separate testing of the pre- and power amp sections. During the brief distorted output phase I could hear the tone controls working so I believe the preamp section is okay. The L and R outputs both distort. Power supply? I would be happy to do some probing--if I had a schematic.

Anyone happen to know what usually fails from prolonged standby in this amp? Anyone know where I can get a schematic or service manual? The amp has a 2-year warranty but I am the second owner and per the manual the warranty is not transferable.
Old 20th April 2011, 09:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Common failure on these amplifiers are the 10000uF smoothing cans. Take the top off and see if they have leaked or are bulging.

I have repaired a few of these now with these caps failed, also a couple of the smaller capacitors on the LT rails have a habit of drying out so just check for any bulging/vented caps.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I too will be replacing the caps on my amp. But before shelling out on a pair of high grade caps, i wanted to check if using 8200uf caps would be ok. They are also 50v anyway,but is 10000 so different from 8200?

cheers
Old 26th November 2012, 09:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi cookachoo. The manufacturing tolerance is quite wide for electrolytics; about -20/+50%, so being down by a nominal 20% is negligible, in effect.
Go ahead with confidence, though there are those who think in terms of the largest amount they can fit inside the case for some reason.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nice one ian. i'll be sure to post some feedback on the results.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:43 PM   #6
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

elektrotanya has the schematic

This is one of their oddball amps that have bulbs in the supply lines. Never figured the point of that.
Old 27th November 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Perhaps there is a better explanation but there are 2 raw DC supplies here. One is of 45V rails and this linked via the the bulbs, one in either + and - rail, to a lower set of 35V rails.
Presumably, this produces a safer form of rail sag, as exploited in some designs to prevent excessive dissipation with low (4R) loads.

It might make a bit of a light show with heavy bass!
Old 27th November 2012, 10:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Light bulbs are much cheaper than power resistors on heatsinks
Old 1st December 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hi ian. just some feedback with regards to fitting the capacitors. They came in the post and I fitted them same day......works perfect and my amp sounds superb. I fitted nichicons.

Regards.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
elektrotanya has the schematic

This is one of their oddball amps that have bulbs in the supply lines. Never figured the point of that.
Have you read Nad's white paper about it NAD Upgrade Software and Documentation -- License Agreement/Disclaimer - NAD Electronics

Hide this!Advertise here!