Hafler P1500: how to make volume down to zero (∞db)? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2011, 01:50 AM   #1
jackup is offline jackup  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Default Hafler P1500: how to make volume down to zero (∞db)?

Hi Alls,

I own a Hafler P1500. I dont know why the volume can come down only to -15db. My concern is, how to mod this amplifier to make volume down to zero (∞db)?

Thank you very much,
Jackup
Old 16th April 2011, 02:11 AM   #2
Chartal is offline Chartal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Because it's an amplifier and not a integrated.
The knobs on the front are to fine-tune the gain.
You need a pre-amplifier for the volume control.
Old 16th April 2011, 03:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartal View Post
Because it's an amplifier and not a integrated.
The knobs on the front are to fine-tune the gain.
You need a pre-amplifier for the volume control.
What you say is true but modding for down to 0 is no big deal. There are fixed resistors on the electrical 'bottom' of the pot that when shunted with wires will expand the range to infinity. KEEP in mind that the input loading might drop a LOT. Many units will be OK with that but not all. If it was mine I'd try for a load of at least 5K and not more that 25K. This may require changing the pots to a higher value. Solid state sources would be fine with this but tube gear would not be happy. Since I don't use tubes, I don't mind.

G
Old 16th April 2011, 05:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post
What you say is true but modding for down to 0 is no big deal. There are fixed resistors on the electrical 'bottom' of the pot that when shunted with wires will expand the range to infinity. KEEP in mind that the input loading might drop a LOT. Many units will be OK with that but not all. If it was mine I'd try for a load of at least 5K and not more that 25K. This may require changing the pots to a higher value. Solid state sources would be fine with this but tube gear would not be happy. Since I don't use tubes, I don't mind.

G
Could you please specify which resistors need to be shunted with wires?
Please refer to this Parts list: http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pd..._P3000_man.pdf
Thank you very much
Attached Images
File Type: png hafler.png (143.6 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by jackup; 16th April 2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: add board layout
Old 16th April 2011, 09:15 AM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

That is a common mode volume control, it may not go to 0 even after modification, there may be some very low level high frequency present (-60dB~-80dB down). R6 is the part you want to remove and/or short out.

Last edited by djk; 16th April 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
That is a common mode volume control, it may not go to 0 even after modification, there may be some very low level high frequency present (-60dB~-80dB down). R6 is the part you want to remove and/or short out.
Thank you very much! I'll try and report later!
Old 18th April 2011, 02:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
Thank you all of you! Now the volume can down to zero with RCAs only. If i use XLRs, there is still low signal at speakers. I don't know why.

Last edited by jackup; 18th April 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 18th April 2011, 09:28 PM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Because it is a common mode volume control.

Try adjusting R8 (CMRR) for a minimum with the volume control all the way down. Unfortunately, there is no adjustable capacitor for HF CMRR, just the pot for LF CMRR. You should be able to get -60dB~-80dB.

Hide this!Advertise here!