The price issue: Why shouldn't I just get an integrated receiver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, well I'm in the process of doing up a new computer speaker system, and my search for power has pushed me in a lot of different directions.

I want something that I can use right now to give 2 channels of power to some computer speakers, and the same piece of equipment will be useful when I move out and get around to building a whole 5.1 surround setup.

Building something from scratch is completely out of the question, I don't have the knowledge or the motivation to do something like that. I also want to stay away from tubs, and in reality I don't plan on spening more than 3k on the whole completed 5.1 system.

So what are the benefits to getting something like an adcom 100x2 amp now for my speakers for like $250+, when I can get a 100x5 Pioneer receiver for $160 (vsx-d411, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_34967,00.html)
This has everything I need, DTS processing, plenty of power etc. Add on a powered sub, 5 speakers, and I'm all set.

Whereas if I get an amp now, when I move to a full 5.1 HT, I'll have to get a pre-pro, and another 100x3 of power, costing upwards of 1000 more.

So in my case, where I'm looking for a midlevel 2-channel audio system that can combine to a decent 5.1 HT system in the future, why NOT go with something like the pioneer, that does everything I'd need 3-4 units to do otherwise?

All you CAF people fell free to chime in. Obviously a pre-pro separate system is going to be better, but is it really worth it to somebody who is on an extreme budget?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There's nothing wrong with buying a commercial unit.

For me, building my own equipment is:

1. Something I can be proud of.
2. I know I can design and build audio eqipmint of better quality for less dollars.
3. Great conversation piece with friends, they are always impressed and give me praise (I don't let it go to my head).

If I needed a new six channel A/V receiver, I wouldn't build it. The complexity and space restraint of the projectwould be too great. I would definitely buy it.

One final thought. Some people will try to sell you on the "separate components are the way to go" philosophy. Don't buy into it. There are many commercial offerings from many reputable companies that offer audiophile quality in a stand alone receiver. Some companies I would look at are:

1. Parasound
2. NAD
3. Rotel
4. Haromon Kardon
5. Onkyo
6. Pioneer ELITE
7. Sony ES

Good Luck!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.