Comments Please: Winding own audio power transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I've got a couple of diy projects ready to go but am holding off because I don't really want to drop $200 - $400 on each power transformer. If I can't scavenge some used ones, I'd like to try to build 'em myself.

Has anyone out there ever built their own power xformers? I'd like to get your feedback: the good & the bad, level of expectation, tips/references so that I can build my own, etc.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

-UJ

Thanks, Jocko. Why is the pitch more critical for a toroidal core (assuming you're just using it for 50/60 Hz service)? Is it a specific critical value that depends on wire size, core geometry, or whatever, or is it a matter of just having the pitch be even throughout the windings?

Sorry for the dumb questions- this is an area where my experience is zero. And I've seen some wind-it-yerself toroid kits and wondered if I should do it...

Toroids aren't supposed to radiate right? Wrong, they do.......some. An unbalance in the winding distribution will make it worse. One guy who winds them for me says that it can make them hum a little more if you do. Never tried it, so I can not verify that he is not being a wise guy like we tend to be (sometimes).

Toroids of course hum if there is any DC on the line. But it is also dependent on how tight the tape that makes up the core is wound. Something that no one who makes them has much control over. So.....they take all steps possible to make sure that they don't make them worse. Or else wise guys like us who buy them will complain.

More than we usually do.

Jocko

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.