JFET input, MOSFET VAS, LATERAL output = Perfect!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JFET listening impressions - you may be surprised.

I have spent the morning listening to the JFET front end with dfferent types of music and now feel I can make some solid observations. First up, it is not all good.

The midrange clarity has definitely improved. More air around voices and the amp just makes everything sound easy, like it's lazily following the source with no real effort required to do so. It is a nice sound.

However, and this is a big factor, the wonderful bass performance from before has disappeared. Completely gone. It is possible that the old version was exaggerating the bass and that this one is more faithfully following the level of bass in the recording, but I'm not sure I like it. The difference between the MOSFET and JFET front end is night and day.

I thought maybe things would improve if I made the feedback capacitor larger, so I doubled it to 440uF. No difference.

This circuit is identical to the last one except I have use polypropylene capacitors this time rather than polyester. I have a hard time believing that the capacitors could make this much of a difference to the bass performance so I'm going to blame the JFET.

The VAS transistors are from the same tube and the output fets are the same ones I used last time.

The difference is so obvious that were I to make a final version to put in a box, I would be leaning towards the MOSFET version.

So, any ideas why this is so? I badly wanted the JFET to be better, and in some ways it is, but that oh so important bass performance just isn't there and this is very disappointing.

Is it possible that the circuit really needs a device with some decent transconductance in the front end to perform? The MOSFET's transconductance is something like 6x higher.

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have spent the morning listening to the JFET front end with dfferent types of music and now feel I can make some solid observations. First up, it is not all good.

The midrange clarity has definitely improved. More air around voices and the amp just makes everything sound easy, like it's lazily following the source with no real effort required to do so. It is a nice sound.

However, and this is a big factor, the wonderful bass performance from before has disappeared. Completely gone. It is possible that the old version was exaggerating the bass and that this one is more faithfully following the level of bass in the recording, but I'm not sure I like it. The difference between the MOSFET and JFET front end is night and day.

I thought maybe things would improve if I made the feedback capacitor larger, so I doubled it to 440uF. No difference.

This circuit is identical to the last one except I have use polypropylene capacitors this time rather than polyester. I have a hard time believing that the capacitors could make this much of a difference to the bass performance so I'm going to blame the JFET.

The VAS transistors are from the same tube and the output fets are the same ones I used last time.

The difference is so obvious that were I to make a final version to put in a box, I would be leaning towards the MOSFET version.

So, any ideas why this is so? I badly wanted the JFET to be better, and in some ways it is, but that oh so important bass performance just isn't there and this is very disappointing.

Is it possible that the circuit really needs a device with some decent transconductance in the front end to perform? The MOSFET's transconductance is something like 6x higher.

swordfishy,

Just some thoughts:
I think that jfet sounds best when biased at more than 70% of their IDss so they say...

Also, I wonder if paralleling jfet (same IDss) would increase the transconductance...

Fab

SWF,

Yes, I assume you use a 1K gate stopper as well, my bad.

Fab, I think you are right.

A mosfet has typically 5-10 times the transconductance of the jfet, which is measured in tens of millisiemens.

This will affect loop gain, greatly decreasing it. It should also make the amp easier to stabilise of course. However, low loop gain will increase output impedance and seriously impact the damping factor, a big factor in rendition of bass.

Jfets don't have a lot of power handling either. There are some impressive Supertex vertical N mosfets, the DN2530, which cost about a dollar from Mouser and which can be run at higher current. These are typically 0.3S, or 300 mmho, so much more loop gain is possible with these. I will see if I can obtain a Spice model from an engineer friend.

However, there are other factors to the bass. It might not all be DF.....

Hugh

Last edited:
All, danspy especially. I have told you a lie and I apologise. I always thought the source of the input fet was at nearly zero volts and thus for using a jfet you would need a negative gate voltage. This is not the case. Depending on drain resistance the source is always at a positive voltage of at least a few volts, and therefore even with a JFET you need a positive bias voltage. Therefore the bias arrangement I posted in post 336 will be fine.

The good news about this is that the layout for a jfet or MOSFET version is identical making pcb construction easy. My bias voltage is current somewhere around 5v, needing 3 LEDs to get enough voltage. Maybe a single Zener would do better here Hugh?

Anyway, onto the bass side of things.

Hugh, glad to know my theory about needing more transconductance in the input stage wasn't completely stupid! I must be learning something.

I have improved it slightly. As you guys suggested I have increased the jfet current from 1-2mA to 5mA or so by dropping the drain resistor to 250R. I also added the input filter and added more PS bypassing. While the bass is still a little weak, the overall sound is improved. More separation and transparency. Very good.

However, even the bass issue is not too bad. While there is definitely much less than the MOSFET version, there is still quite a lot compared to other amps I have heard. So overall it's in pretty good shape now.

Hugh, perhaps dropping the source resistor of thie input stage from 100R to 20R or something might help the OLG and improve damping factor?

FAB, paralleling input devices might work, but it would be nice if we could avoid it I think. Do you think that sound wise paralled jets would still be better than a single MOSFET?

SWF,

Personally, I feel that people who design with more than 10 transistors for a simple power amp should be heavily fined to teach them the error of their ways.....

Hugh

Hi Hugh.

That would be me. Then i am sentenced to forced labor, until i by my heart can say i will not use more than ten active devices in an amp.

Does this include the currentsources... :(

- Sonny

Last edited:
SWF,

I've tried your model but can't get it to work using Notepad and LTSpice, any tips?

The entire 1st stage source current passes through the series fb resistor, therefore to keep voltage drop across this resistor to the minimum, a low value should be used. This mandates an even lower value for the shunt fb resistor, forcing use of a very large shunt capacitor. If we assume that 22R is about as low as you can go on the shunt resistor, then the 6dB corner frequency would be reached when the Xc of this cap is at 22R. That corresponds to 3.3Hz for a 2200uF cap, which is surely close enough for government work.

If we now set a gain of 18 for the amplifier, the series feedback resistor becomes 375R. 5mA passing through this resistor would give a voltage drop of 1V875, which means the source will be around 1V9 ABOVE the output, which we set to 0mV by adjusting the bias on the gate of the input device. The 2,200uF feedback cap will thus be polarised with just under 2V, should be rated to 5V or 6.3V, and should be protected with a 4V7 zener to prevent damage should the output stage blow.

Hope this explains the fb network clearly,

Cheers,

Hugh

Just some thoughts:
I think that jfet sounds best when biased at more than 70% of their IDss so they say...
This is why I recommend at least 5mA for a 2SK170BL.
John Curl always says that JFETs runs better with high current.

There are some impressive Supertex vertical N mosfets, the DN2530, which cost about a dollar from Mouser and which can be run at higher current. These are typically 0.3S, or 300 mmho, so much more loop gain is possible with these. I will see if I can obtain a Spice model from an engineer friend.
However, there are other factors to the bass. It might not all be DF.....
Hugh
Hugh.
Supertex has got SPICE models at their website.
Supertex - SPICE Models

swordfishy
I would like to see a schematic of that circuit you use.
You said you would post a circuit.

There are many factors that could make you perceive less BASS.
For example if the upper of the frequencies are more dominant, bright
then the BASS, eventhough not changed, would seem less.

Ideally you should setup 2 circuits. One with MOSFET input and one with JFET.
And then you can switch to make a better A-B compare.

Hi all,
last night I came across this thread and read it in a rush. Thanks to all contributers, it was fun and instructive!

I have a few Q's, though.

Greg, which are your main speakers? Which is your daily poweramp?

All, I never activley biased a 2sk170. The datasheet makes clear that this FET at or near IDSS exhibits a very low Vgs. I am not sure that you are in a good operational mode if you bias the gate to 0mV if the source sits at nearly 2V, but maybe I'm missing something?

Or perhaps we learn here that a mosfet input stage could sound better than pure data and common sense would imply?

Nice project!
Rüdiger

The input device is a FET, yes, but the Vgs of the high gm devices like the DN2530 is high also, around 2V6, and being depletion mode, the gate potential is BElOW the source.

Hugh

Oops, I thought Greg used a 2sk170 here. With a high Id it would sit aprox. 50mV below the source when left self biased.

Rüdiger

EDIT: Has someone done a LT-Spice sim and would share it here?

Last edited:
lineup, onvinyl, mikelm,

Maybe a FET VAS will improve things...but we are going to a lot of effort to improve a circuit to make a jfet work...when it was already so good without it :)

The circuit I said was at 2 volts was the one with a 500R drain resistor (1-2mA fet current), and 1k/100R feedback network. I think if you simulate that circuit you will see that my measuements were absolutely correct.

Moving on, my current circuit has a 250R drain resistor and 200R/20R feedback network (about 4mA current). Bias voltage is at very close to zero volts now (a few hundred mV).

onvinyl,

To answer you question, which I assume you're asking to see whether my opinion means anything :) :) Well, I don't have a Krell and B&Ws, that's for sure, and I don't have golden ears either.

The speakers I do most of my mod to mod testing with are a small set of Jamo bookshelves and when I think it's worth the effort I drag in my Soavo 1 Floorstanders. These are not well known, but they are high end Yamaha, and on par with their famous efforts from the 1970s. They have a flat frequency response and sound very bland with most amps - hence my looking for a bit of low order distortion.

Here is the AVHUB summary for them:

The frequency response of Yamaha’s Soavo-1 as shown in Graph 1 extends from 50Hz to 10kHz ±3dB when using pink noise as the test stimulus. This is an excellent result. This trace is the averaged result of nine individual frequency sweeps measured at three metres, with the central grid point on-axis with the tweeter. Although the capture is unsmoothed, some smoothing is inevitable as a part of this averaging process. Overall, the graph shows superb flatness right across the midrange, so that it’s within just ±1dB from around 300Hz all the way up to 2kHz, which is the note ‘C7’ in the top octave of a piano keyboard. Below this you can see there is a slight ‘lift’ in the bass between 80 and 240Hz that peaks at around +3dB at 150Hz. There’s also a very slight prominence in the high treble, between 4kHz and 10kHz (the latter frequency being the upper measurement limit for this particular test), but since it’s only around +1dB and could affect only the harmonics of instruments, and not their fundamentals, I don’t think it would be audible.

Graph 2, which shows the high-frequency response in far greater detail, thanks to the use of the gated sine wave technique, shows that the rise in output level above 4kHz increases to about 4dB at 6–7kHz, after which it rolls off, shelves slightly, then rolls off to end in a sharp –8dB dip at 15kHz after which there’s a rise to a +10dB peak at 30kHz. This 30kHz peak would be the fundamental resonance of the aluminium dome, but at this frequency it’s high enough to be well out of harm’s way, where it would be completely inaudible to the human ear. And severe though that suck-out at 15kHz seems to the human eye, it has such a high ‘Q’—occurs over such a narrow bandwidth—that it, too, would be inaudible to the human ear, not least because few—if any—people over the age of 40 can hear a 15kHz tone.

Low-frequency performance is shown in Graph 3, which was measured using the standard near-field microphone technique. You can see that the Soavo-1 is tuned to a very low frequency (32Hz) and that the woofers (the single trace is the summed version of both bass drivers) roll off very smoothly from around 150Hz down to this frequency. The port’s output peaks a little higher than I might have expected given this tuning, at around 40Hz. The port nonetheless produces significant energy over quite an extended bandwidth, as its output is 6dB down at 23Hz and 80Hz, so it’s able to substantially reinforce the output from the bass drivers.

Impedance was controlled, except that the lower resonant bass peak is moderately high at well over 40Ω and the upper resonant peak also comes in at a fairly high 34Ω (at 54Hz). You can see the ‘saddle’ between the two is at 32Hz, electrically confirming the system tuning. The variation in impedance between the two peaks is confirmation that Yamaha’s engineers have deliberately tuned the Soavo-1’s port a little high. The impedance of the Soavo-1 drops to around 3.2Ω at 160Hz, and there’s a difficult point in the impedance around 85Hz, where the impedance is 5.4Ω and the phase angle is –63°, which means any amplifier used with the Soavo-1 will need to be capable of delivering its rated power output into a 4Ω load. However, it does mean that the Soavo-1 should be rated as ‘nominally’ 4Ω rather than the 6Ω specified by Yamaha.

The amplifier you use to drive the Soavo-1s won’t have to be overly powerful in order to achieve high sound pressure levels in your listening room, because Newport Test Labs measured the Soavo-1’s sensitivity at 89.5dBSPL at one metre, for a 2.83Veq input, which is both very good (being significantly higher than the average for all speakers) and also a fraction higher than Yamaha’s own specification. It’s also a good result because Newport Test Labs’ methodology for testing loudspeaker efficiency is particularly stringent.

The last graph in this series is a composite plot showing how the various drivers interact with each other to produce the complete ‘system’ response as measured by Newport Test Labs of 40Hz to 20kHz ±6dB. Looking at the left-hand side of this graph, it’s apparent that the particular loading and alignment used by Yamaha means that although the frequency response is –3dB at 50Hz, the roll-off below this point is a little shallower than I might have expected, so you can expect to hear significant bass output down to around 30Hz, particularly if you position the speakers effectively in your room.

Overall, this is an excellent set of test results, showing that Yamaha’s engineers have created a very musically balanced loudspeaker in the Soavo-1.

My daily amplifier is a meticulously constructed set of Peter Daniel Gainclone PCBs, which sound better than they have a right to. I also have a Cambridge Audio Azur 840W which is their flagship multi $k product designed by none other than Douglas Self. It is currently on EBAY as it is so sterile it could disinfect a hospital. Amazing figures but no soul whatsoever, and definitely not a good match to my already bland speakers. I hate it.

I have also built and owned a Sansui 500 Valve Amp from the 1960s, Musical Fidelity A1, JLH class A, aleph 3, Aleph 30 and several zero feedback designs of my own design as well as a heap of high end consumer audio - pioneer, sony, etc, etc.

So now you have an idea of where my opinions come from.

BTW, I think you might be on to something with your comment about the mosfet input...

As this is all getting so confusing I will post a new schematic later tonight so we all know where things are at!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.