JFET input, MOSFET VAS, LATERAL output = Perfect!! - Page 233 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2012, 09:15 AM   #2321
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
I can have surface mount on board 100uH chokes or off board chokes of any spec.

The configuration is just CLC for pos & neg.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:38 AM   #2322
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Yes Mike, I do agree with you.... reduced fb also brings more musicality, whatever the hell this means.

Hugh
A post from Aksa.
Welcome back.
Old 11th November 2012, 12:08 PM   #2323
GregH2 is offline GregH2  Australia
diyAudio Member

This is where I have taken this design lately - more power with cheaper and easier to get parts. Worthy of a new thread as it is quite different to the Fetzilla design:

Simple 85W amplifier

Last edited by GregH2; 11th November 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 17th January 2013, 06:30 AM   #2324
diyAudio Member

i was referred to this thread as a poor man's alternative to the SKA amp. i don't DIY so all of the tech talk loses me. could someone summarize the sound of this design regarding ease, detail, imaging etc. compared to other "giant killing" designs like class D & gainclones? what i did pick up in a few pages of skimming that this model is doable for $200 or so, and might interest me as something to hotrod up to maybe $400 or even $500 if there's significant gains to be made building an "ultimate version".

what qualities does this design have that someone who likes fast and detailed sound, but wants something a little less dry sounding than my panasonic class D? i'm not interested in too lush and romantic a sound, the ease and neutrality descriptions i've read for the simple killer amp made it sound like the kind of sound i'm looking for, but $1,000 USD is out of my budget. something that gets out of the way of the music without imparting as artificial a sound as the extremes of clinical and lush.
Old 17th January 2013, 06:57 AM   #2325
diyAudio Member

The group buys for this project are finished so you won't be able to just buy parts as a kit and assemble.
However, the discussions in the commercial sector builders thread might be more "sound quality" oriented,
if that's what you want to read.
Here is the documentation thread.There are other Fetzilla build threads in AKSA's forum.
Old 17th January 2013, 07:11 AM   #2326
diyAudio Member

BTW - Being the person who directed you here - I didn't imply that this amp was an inferior alternative - personally I think this approach has very high potential.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:06 AM   #2327
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Budget,
The case, heatsink, hardware, transformer, PSU, cables & wires make up about 90% of the cost of an amplifier. The "amp" is usually as little as 10% of the cost of the whole amplifier.

If you buy retail, then the cost is inflated to cover labour, transport, advertising, packaging, selling and profit. The commercial version will achieve significant saving in the cost of amplifier components, but the final amplifier is still likely to be double what you spend on components alone.

Look at your amp and decide whether you want to spend $10, or $50, or some other amount and then allow about $200 to complete the the cheapest DIY version of the project. If you go the whole hog and spend $100 on the amp your total cost cannot be cheaper than ~$300. The absolute cheapest version would cost ~ $210 and the sound quality is likely to reflect that ten times difference in amp cost.

If you go outside the budget end of the build, you will find some Members that spend $10 to $30 on each component and end up with amplifiers that cost in excess of $5000.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:35 PM   #2328
diyAudio Member

Wow - I buy some expensive components and still struggle to get much beyond $500 build cost / channel. $5000 build cost is really extraordinary.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:42 PM   #2329
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
Wow - I buy some expensive components and still struggle to get much beyond $500 build cost.
Obviously, you don't shop at the boutique parts vendors' where you find just the connectors, wiring and case well exceed that figure. Components from even "budget" sellers like Parts Connection can be staggeringly priced like anywhere from $3-90 for a bog-standard NOS film/foil 1uF cap, apparently depending on how scarce they are and "testimonials" seen on the net.

Take a look at the MSRP ($2,177 ea.) for the 10uF 'toob' coupling cap - absolute bargain at just $899.95 (Ahem!)
DUELUND Cast - PIO (Paper In Oil) Electronic Capacitor new Round Body

Much of Hi-fi is in the perception of high quality, relevant or not to audio and these guys know and exploit it. I think absurdium prices are just normal in selling audio oriented accessories and components, supporting otherwise unviable businesses, as it has been for decades.
Old 17th January 2013, 09:15 PM   #2330
diyAudio Member

like i said, i'd be willing to invest up to $500 in total parts for as ultimate a hot rodded design as possible but when a piece of gear gets close to $1,000, my interest level really drops, especially as i'm looking to invest $700 or more in a schiit gungnir DAC that's about the limit of what i'm comfortable spending on a piece of gear, and with a power amp, $500 is probably my limit as a pre-amp, or at least an expensive step attenuator is still needed to complete the package.

i like getting gear as cheap as possible, but will stretch my budget for significant improvements. i've already considered the $750 factory hotrodded jolida integrated tube amp.

i'll take a look at that link and try reading up on the layman's impressions. thanks.

i wasn't trying to imply fetzilla is an inferior product if i called it a "poor man's SKA" and in fact complimenting it as a value as i like to call my energy speakers poor man's B&Ws and in fact think they might be even better with their ports plugged with smaller 5 1/4" kevlar woofers that are surely more punchy and tight sounding than 6 1/2" ported ones.

there are AMAZING values at the low end of the price spectrum, then you have insane gear like $100k ongakus etc. my $15 sonic impact amp was an insane bargain. i wish it hadn't blown driving it as hard as possible in a bike system, but i have a couple dayton modules and a 25-40w sure module too for future portable use.

if so many people are so excited about fetzilla, there has to be some legit reason for it.

Quote:
Take a look at the MSRP ($2,177 ea.) for the 10uF 'toob' coupling cap - absolute bargain at just $899.95 (Ahem!)
DUELUND Cast - PIO (Paper In Oil) Electronic Capacitor new Round Body
hey, how about multi-thousand dollar interconnects and speaker cables? i'm surprised no one's made 24 karat gold cables yet.

Last edited by budget minded; 17th January 2013 at 09:23 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!