Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2011, 10:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hey Guys Are the Hlly tripath amps phillesgoal?

Hey want some cool decent sounding gear for my mums hifi. I especially like the hlly digital preamp for a few reasons

1 its got no cheap volume control
2 it got full remote operation
3 its $120

Its got some cool digital mumbo jumbo that might sound good.
I have been searching here and everwhere after promising mum they would be great unfortunately and heard nothing but bad news about them.

I have heard the tripath are noisy hissy noise makers that break down if they work at all. Maybe a set of trans at the input might fix that. I ordered a 10$ built tamp board the other day. I plan to plug the power supply into a battery and the audio input into a transformer. Hoping I can use it for a bass amp for tapped horns. Starting to realise why it was only $10.

Heard nothing good about the gain clone. The capacitors look nice in them solid caps and nice plastics

And finally I have read that there just a scam selling absolute garbage that either doesn't work sounds bad or doesn't arrive at all with zero service.

So has anyone got some good stories about them or should I leave them alone. Poor old mum going to be disappointed. Apart from making her a tube amp I don't know what else is out here at a reasonable price that will sound decent. She needs something decent because I have got her some nice reveling speakers. I wanted a remote control for her. I am to lazy to build remote control preamp for myself :|

Hide this!Advertise here!