How do SS amps feel about being unloaded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If one were to drive a speaker through a passive second order high pass filter at, say 100Hz, and drive the amp with a full range signal, the amp would be running essentially loadless for the very low frequencies.

Do solid state amplifiers object to this and if so what are the objections?

ditto dhaen

Tube amps can give you trouble unloaded. Not so any "normal" solid-state amp; in fact, for many years, they tended to have capacitively coupled outputs. Such connections are also shown in various app notes for 3875 and similar chip amos.

I assume you're not talking about something exotic...?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
dhaen said:
Some probably perform better

Oooh, cutting! :)

Only hearsay I know, but an audio company i work with occasionally has a C Audio Pro power amp that has been running just one set of outputs for years with no problem. It is used for testing drivers needing, or having just been reconed, and only very occasionally, (about twice a year or so), used with both channels. It has been going for about 6 years, and will probably carry on just as long again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.