Pioneer SA 7300 power dropping out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys

long time reader, first post

i have my dad's pioneer amp and it has started to drop out when using it at any volume level.

it has been matched to the same pair of speakers for 20+ years

you can hear the power relay click on and off when it does this. jiggling the power switch does not influence the problem in any way.

im wondering if anyone has come across a similar problem and can point me in the right direction to start looking at fixing this?

thanks in advance!

Assuming it isnt a real fault with the amp circuit, it is possibly bad capacitors in the protection circuit making it trip. It looks like quite an old amp from the 70's and it'll be long overdue for a complete overhaul and capacitor replacement anyway.

amptech .... in a way this the number one wrong approach ( refering to the big caps )

if for example one amplifier has leacky or dry filter capacitors will work perfectly allright until you ask ammounts of power from it .If 5% of the out is only needed will work like charm even with dry capacitors....

on the other side one amplifier with a dry capacitor in the signal/feedback chain will not play at all or like the OP above will have problems starting up if aux power supply that feeds protection and preamp circuits is under some kind of fault

protection circuits feature also caps in the signal path that also might be a reason fro not starting up properly

main filter caps might be a problem after all these years but will not effect the operation of the amp in low or very low power ...that puts the filter caps by far lower to the fault trace chain ...

kind regards sakis

hi everybody, thanks for the informative replies.

it sounds like a good idea for me to check the soldering along the power supply and protection circuits.

something worth noting - once a week when you power the amp up it will make a bzzzzzz sound for 1 sec then power up. it sounds similar to when the amp drops out for a second...

Is your silver pioneer have it's blue led display to the left side or in the middle?

you say it drop's 'out' at any level...is there any distortion or is the music level coming out the speaker side weak?..

we need to know how things sound to speed the repair up, retry powering up with out speaker loads connected..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.