Which amp design sounds the best - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2011, 12:31 AM   #51
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Just a few more important things about building an good quality amplifier. Maybe it would be batter to start new thread for all the beginners but.......
When you choose right circuit which satisfies your needs such as quality, power, reliability, weight(touring applications),size,price......and many others, I sometimes build something just for fun and because i am curious how it works.........
Very important is than to build amplifier good in mechanical aspect. It should be compact, you should track the logic of the circuit. For an example. It is bad idea to put inputs and power transformer close together unless you want some hum to be present all the tome as a background in your music......
Some elements dissipate heat and it is very bad idea to mount them in contact with electolytic capacitors......
And now the output transistors. They should be mounted on heat sinks large enough or too big for the power which they should cool down. Operational temperature should not exceed some 60 degrees of celsius, or lifetime will be reduced. It is important to mount transistors on absolutely flat surfaces. Be care full on edge around the hole which you drill. Firstly there is no flat surface and secondly it will punch through mica insulator and cause at least short circuit to the power lines if it wont even destroy something. Try to avoid rubber insulators because they are mechanically sensitive and ere hard to remove when are overheated if amp needs some repair. Don't scrimp with thermal conductive paste. Excess of it is good to clean because otherwise the dust will stick on it.......
It is also important to have good ventilation of enclosure, or all of elements especially caps will suffer from reduced lifetime.
Be prepared that when you once complete bare electronic there are costs just began. Mechanic is more than 2/3 of the final cost.
Old 11th April 2011, 02:08 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Hi Tajzmaj,
This sounds great.I can't wait to try and put it all together. I will order an enclosure from Italy as you suggest, one with heat sinks built in is i think what you recommended. Then i will try and source the other parts maybe after talking to you.. I am interested in Mic pres , especially for powering a ribbon mic which has a very low output. Any advice very welcome. Bluegrass
Old 11th April 2011, 10:14 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Hey Bluegrass
About the enclosure. This amp fits nice in enclosure 300mm deep and 3H high, with heat sinks on both sides. If I am correct there they have rack version or 10mm front panel version......and also black or ,,blond,, . But check shipping. You know, I'm from Slovenija and Italy is our neighbor so shipping is cheap. I have from my home to the Venice only 250Km.........so check. And don't expect too much. Those enclosures have good price ratio but have some cheap mechanical solutions.
Most mic preamps which I use have some 60dB gain but as you probably noticed has some hiss when you open them too much, like all good sounding preamps. But who cares if the sound is nice. Look at the Neve 1073. It has a lot of hiss.
Best regards
Taj
Old 1st June 2011, 06:19 AM   #54
ravi79 is offline ravi79  India
diyAudio Member

hi diyers greeting please post the detail for p.a amp pushpull out put transformer calculation
Old 1st June 2011, 10:43 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

?
Tube amp?
Please tell us some more details.....
Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!