Which amp design sounds the best - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2011, 07:12 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the post Ostripper, so which amp type would you recommend?
Old 30th March 2011, 07:29 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the posts. I made a few amateur observations which are as follows.

The Pass F4/5 seems to be very well respected all round but more expensive to build. (class A i think?)

A good quality chip amp is cheaper to build but still high up sound wise with the right components, using Im3886 as an example.

Panasonaudio also recommended for their amp kits.

Another aspect is of course my lack of experience and electronics knowledge, which may mean i need a kit rather than to build from scratch.

Right now two builds seem appealing.

1:Find a Pass f5 kit if one exists

2:Find a really high quality chip amp kit ......

Do these seem fair observations?

Am i on the right lines? Thanks

Last edited by bluegrass; 30th March 2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 30th March 2011, 07:35 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

The one bigun recommended... Roenders rmi-FC100 , or my AX with it's TMC. Both amps have near PPM distortion. Good ol' invisible . I hear the differences in different high end sound cards or CD vs. FLAC vs. MP3 , not the amp.

Also , pay just as much attention to the power supply and output stage , if not more .... that is what you are really hearing (or not hearing ).

OS
Old 30th March 2011, 09:15 AM   #24
johnYks is offline johnYks  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
The one bigun recommended... Roenders rmi-FC100 , or my AX with it's TMC. Both amps have near PPM distortion. Good ol' invisible . I hear the differences in different high end sound cards or CD vs. FLAC vs. MP3 , not the amp.

Also , pay just as much attention to the power supply and output stage , if not more .... that is what you are really hearing (or not hearing ).

OS
Excellent advice but somewhat cryptic for the uninitiated
You really need to read and search the forum particularly
for the superbly thoughtout designs from previous years.

e.g The ROENDER design

RMI-FC100, a single stage audio power amplifier

'RMI-FC100, a single stage audio power amplifier
This is my latest amplifier design. For me, the quest of finding the best sounding amplifier is over.
Firs of all, I want to thanks to MikeB and JCarr, they was my source of inspiration and to Mr. Nelson Pass for a key advice regarding folded cascode topology.
This amplifier has borne as a freeware project and it is dedicated to this marvelous community of enthusiast people that adhere to share knowledge and experience.
I'll start with few pictures. Tomorrow I will continue with specs, amplifier schematics and front end regulated PSU.
Attached Thumbnails
RMI-FC100, a single stage audio power amplifier-1.jpg'

Yours Sincerely
John

PS
Mr Ovidiu-Syn08 site is a good read
Home

Last edited by johnYks; 30th March 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:08 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Thanks,
ok i understand what your saying, thats probably why i like the quads. Im not so worried about the cost (within reason), its more which design gives the very high quality. Can i get that from Gainclone? Thank you.
________
Monica.HRservice
Old 30th March 2011, 10:22 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PS
Mr Ovidiu-Syn08 site is a good read
Home
Or this site (where he "hangs out") ... DIY Audio Engineering - Index

Finally able to digest 90+ % of the content , just started reading it. It seems I have independantly come to some of the same conclusions concerning linear amplification .. it is good to be right.
Some new members are timid and won't just jump into a fully discrete amp project. This is the best way to learn about even IC amps. Most STK amp modules are basic LIN topology , the 3886 is just another flavor of this (below - LIN w/widlar CM + quasi OPS ). It is EASY to exceed IC amps with discrete.
And , if you mess up , you can fix them (can't fix a chip ).

OS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3886.jpg (45.7 KB, 627 views)
Old 30th March 2011, 12:49 PM   #27
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

indeed syn08 is a master, a straight shooter and great reading for low noise jfet and chip implementations, possibly a bit above the op's level of understanding though. nice amp btw john any boards left?
Old 30th March 2011, 01:11 PM   #28
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
PCB's are available from the diyAudio store - link at the top of the page.
F5 kits are available from Tech DIY Company Store
Old 30th March 2011, 01:42 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:

2:Find a really high quality chip amp kit ......
I would say that in case you would like SS amp it does not make any sense to compete with modern FABs while trying assemble and tune discreet topology. Moreover well regarded in most DIY schematics discreet parts like some TOSHIBA JFETs you will discover almost impossible to buy nowadays. But you can get the perfect JFET input stage buying modern opamps from AD, LME or TI very easily in contra. Actually US FABs like Texas Instruments outperforms the rest of the world so hunting some rear outdated parts or looking for substitutions while trying matching pairs just a waist of time IMHO.

Go with LM3886 to get some experience first, it would provide sufficient power and current to drive some conventional not special hi eff speakers. Add some decent opamp as an input stage with some hi quality capacitors and invest further efforts into decent speakers build.

In case class A discreet design looks appealing go with tubes. Triod Electronics good place to start with tube power amp kit they do have eBay store that ships worldwide.
Old 30th March 2011, 02:04 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
I use Harbeth speakers.
Unless you have the big buck 40's, going supreme exotic with Harbeths isn't sound minded.
At 85-86 dB efficiency, big heat PL clones that handle the load would almost be larger than the loudspeaker.

On the other hand, i seriously doubt that chippy amps with BBC monitor afterlifes would truly make you happy.
Harbeth monitors and Mihai's power amp undoubtedly make a good combo, the RMI-FC100 is one H of a DIY design.

Then, you say your experience with amp building amounts to diddly squat.
Means you'd have to start with a chip amp anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!