Newbie DIY Amplifier Kits, suggestions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2003, 01:38 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kilentra
Aksa 100 sounds like a plan. It'll be loud enough, and easy to build, great directions and support. But oof, it's expensive. If you do build it, use a serious power supply. (Only $100 for a 1000VA transformer... why not?)

I like how Hugh Dean states, "Do not increase these voltages to increase power output." In my amps, the recommended rail is 70V from a 50V transformer. I got a 50V transformer, but it's rated at 115VAC and my wall voltage is sometimes near 125VAC. Also, the 50V rating is for full load. So, my power rails are in the 75-77V range. I did blow a few transistors because of it, but it's working... Now how many watts is that?

(Don't worry, 200 is *plenty*.)
Old 6th August 2003, 02:35 AM   #12
SteveA is offline SteveA  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY amp

I can second recommendation of the AKSA (55w and 100w) as well as the ESP P3A amps. Inexpensive to build but excellent sound.
SteveA
Old 6th August 2003, 04:49 AM   #13
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Drfrink24,

Thank you for your posts concerning choices of DIY amps.

You wrote this:

Quote:
I am a little hesitant, however, to start down the path with such an expensive choice. If memory serves me correct, the components, transformers and caps end up putting the kit at
nearly $800 (US) in parts alone.
Your figure is high. Cost of the kit is $US450. An enclosure from Par-metal.com will cost around $US70, two transformers around $US48 apiece from Avel Lindberg/Bicron/Toroid Corp. A mains switch will be around $5, and a couple of decent quality binding posts about $15. Add an IEC socket to cap it off. This all comes to $US640. You don't need to buy power supply rectifiers or filter caps; all in the kit.

If you decide on the Nirvana upgrade, it will cost an additional $US100, still bringing it in well under $US800.

The other aspect is support. You get a world class design, with some of the best and most detailed instructions in the business, AND you get service. All this is costly in time and effort, and very attractive if you are building something from scratch. Remember, its probably expensive because of the bundling; you get lots of extras which normally are absent.

I hope this explains the situation. Notwithstanding the product is not particularly profitable, and I might need to sell it only as a retail product in the near future.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 6th August 2003, 02:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response. You are correct, my estimates were too high.

Once I get some reading under my belt, I'll have to order up the ASKA 100 kit.

Hide this!Advertise here!