Pure Class A Push Pull - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2011, 07:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pure Class A Push Pull

I know there are many Class A amps using Push Pull Output transistors (BJT or MOSFET).

I am asking coz I am increasing seeing manufacturers use the term "Pure Class A" for the Class A amps with Push Pull output stage.

Traditionally and for purists, "Pure Class A" always apply to SE type and PP always is just called Class A (neither pure or otherwise in front of Class A). I have a few real (means not using clever biasing scheme such as Sliding Bias, etc.) Class A Push-Pull amps that were made in the late 70s and 80s.

The question is can a Push Pull always remain CLASS A (never leave Class A) till it reaches max output and never transaction into Class B but to clip?

And while maintaining the Class A, can the push-pull arrangement produces more current as the load impedance decreases?

Please discuss!
Old 24th March 2011, 07:38 PM   #2
GoranB is offline GoranB  Poland
diyAudio Member

I think that with enough bias current an Push-Pull amplifier will stay in class A without clipping.
Old 24th March 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranB View Post
I think that with enough bias current an Push-Pull amplifier will stay in class A without clipping.
I have no doubt about it and agreed.

The problem is with the word "Pure" when Class A can become a Class AB with the high input signal.
Old 24th March 2011, 07:57 PM   #4
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think you can call all true Class A for 'pure'

Regardless if it is SE or PP
Old 24th March 2011, 08:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineup View Post
I think you can call all true Class A for 'pure'

Regardless if it is SE or PP
That I also agree. It's True Class can be Pure Class A.

But when the True Class A leaves from Class A into Class B under some conditions, then, it's no longer True Class A.

So, how do we limit to the True Class A?
Old 24th March 2011, 08:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You can overdive any A class push-pull amplifier using a high level input signal. But under normal conditions, with normal level input signal and good PS there shouldnt be any clipping.
About word "Pure" (A class)...I think its used for better selling of audio devices.
Old 24th March 2011, 08:18 PM   #7
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

"Pure Class A" is a marketing term, not a technical term. An amp is either class A or not. Peak clipping does not violate Class A, but cutoff does. Class A can be either SE or P-P.

This is what I understand.
Old 24th March 2011, 08:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes! But in Pure Class A PP design, we don't want to go into Class B or leave Class A at all.

Otherwise, it would be like what is already stated. "Pure" is used for marketing the audio devices and nothing more. I guess in Pure Class A PP design, you can limit the over driven signal with the NFB and auto adjusting the overall gain or using rails voltage to clip after the max Class A watts are reached so the output devices doesn't go into Class B when the input signal is higher than the max bias Class A bias current.

When input over driven the PP amp out of Class A, the push-pull Class A is no longer a Class A but a Class AB. And it certainly doesn't fit the "Pure" or "Class A" bill under that condition.

So, in order to stay Pure (or True) Class A, the gain needs to be auto limited with FB network, and rails voltage and power supply design.
Old 24th March 2011, 08:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Maybe im wrong but i dont think that an class A amplifier can leave class A and work in class B or AB. It can clip, but it will stay in class A, no matter of distorted signal. You also dont need NFB to prevent it of clipping (under the normal conditions).
Old 24th March 2011, 08:46 PM   #10
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

NFB does not limit a signal. If the output clips NFB will push the signal even harder against the stops - the opposite of what might be wanted.

Over-driving does not push A into AB. Excessive (i.e. too low resistance) loading might do it, but that is not the amps fault.

In Class A design, the aim is not to go into cutoff. There is not some stronger aim of really really really not wanting to go into cutoff, which is "Pure Class " or "True Class A". It is either Class A or not, under specified conditions.

Hide this!Advertise here!