Pure Class A Push Pull

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know there are many Class A amps using Push Pull Output transistors (BJT or MOSFET).

I am asking coz I am increasing seeing manufacturers use the term "Pure Class A" for the Class A amps with Push Pull output stage.

Traditionally and for purists, "Pure Class A" always apply to SE type and PP always is just called Class A (neither pure or otherwise in front of Class A). I have a few real (means not using clever biasing scheme such as Sliding Bias, etc.) Class A Push-Pull amps that were made in the late 70s and 80s.

The question is can a Push Pull always remain CLASS A (never leave Class A) till it reaches max output and never transaction into Class B but to clip?

And while maintaining the Class A, can the push-pull arrangement produces more current as the load impedance decreases?

Please discuss! :D:devily:

You can overdive any A class push-pull amplifier using a high level input signal. But under normal conditions, with normal level input signal and good PS there shouldnt be any clipping.
About word "Pure" (A class)...I think its used for better selling of audio devices.

Yes! But in Pure Class A PP design, we don't want to go into Class B or leave Class A at all.

Otherwise, it would be like what is already stated. "Pure" is used for marketing the audio devices and nothing more. I guess in Pure Class A PP design, you can limit the over driven signal with the NFB and auto adjusting the overall gain or using rails voltage to clip after the max Class A watts are reached so the output devices doesn't go into Class B when the input signal is higher than the max bias Class A bias current.

When input over driven the PP amp out of Class A, the push-pull Class A is no longer a Class A but a Class AB. And it certainly doesn't fit the "Pure" or "Class A" bill under that condition.

So, in order to stay Pure (or True) Class A, the gain needs to be auto limited with FB network, and rails voltage and power supply design.

Maybe im wrong but i dont think that an class A amplifier can leave class A and work in class B or AB. It can clip, but it will stay in class A, no matter of distorted signal. You also dont need NFB to prevent it of clipping (under the normal conditions).

NFB does not limit a signal. If the output clips NFB will push the signal even harder against the stops - the opposite of what might be wanted.

Over-driving does not push A into AB. Excessive (i.e. too low resistance) loading might do it, but that is not the amps fault.

In Class A design, the aim is not to go into cutoff. There is not some stronger aim of really really really not wanting to go into cutoff, which is "Pure Class " or "True Class A". It is either Class A or not, under specified conditions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.