Restoring Sansui AU6500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have my dad's SANSUI AU6500 integrated laying around, unused.
The volume knob is broken (misuse?) like it's "blocked" inside and won't turn. Otherwise it's in working condition. It's a nice little amp and since it was my dad's I thought maybe it would be a nice project to try and restore it. My first goal would be to find a matching pot for the volume. Actually i'd like to replace it with some cheap stepped attenuator from china (ebay sold). Something tells me these still sound better than "low end" regular potentiometer. Does the value has to be the same? what difference if I choose another value?
Also, the caps might need replacement. What to do? same voltage - different value, or same value - more voltage? I'm confused...

thanks guys

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hard to say on the volume control without seeing it.

Some amps had a "true" switchable loudness control that implies the pot would be a 4 (8 for stereo) leg device rather than a 3 (6) leg. If not the value probably isn't critical eg a 22k would be fine for a 10 or 47k. Usually lower is better as hf response is affected less by capacitance on the circuitry that the wiper of the pot works into.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.