UniGaBuf, a follower cut out to be a leader

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why would I pick this options over a number of alternatives (I'm not trying to be combative, just want to learn why) ?
I certainly wouldn't push any unwilling individual towards this option.
It is undoubtedly an interesting one: it has the ability to produce a result that transcends the crap material it is made of, but the beast isn't easy to tame:
I've had some problems, one totally unrelated to the topology, a very unusual defect of one of the transistors and the other was a high frequency oscillation (several MHz).
I could trace the origin of this oscillation: it was caused by the wirewound 0.33 ohm emitter resistor.

I made a quick and dirty fix, a 100n ceramic in parallel. Probably not optimal but sufficient to go on with the tests.
This could be incompatible with:
If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.
You have to decide for yourself.....

Reactions: 1 user
I'm always on the look out for a current buffer that I can put a triode VAS in front of. Why would I pick this options over a number of alternatives (I'm not trying to be combative, just want to learn why) ?

Uh, er...:idea: HEC mosfet follower with paralelled output devices and a beefed up bootstrapped driver stage.:)

I currently am devising something like that using a low gain ECC88 bias at a constant plate current as a balanced VAS, driving 2 HEC follower stages for a balanced output. The EC circuit has enough emitter follower buffers that it has a very high AC input Z, so as not to load the plate.

but the beast isn't easy to tame

Yeah, it's always difficult not to get attracted to these new ideas, they look like a lot of fun but you are right that I wouldn't necessarily go in this direction if I'm after something relatively foolproof. And at the moment I'm leaning more towards the latter, but I always keep an eye out for the new.

I've not considered HEC. I've not seen it used extensively and am not convinced from what I've read that it offers a real benefit over many other negative feedback topologies. Perhaps it's an idea worthy of renewed interest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.