Opinion sought on modifying vintage amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 1960s solid-state amp made by a company called "Linear". The circuit and the general build quality is quite good so I use it daily. My only problem with it is that it doesn't have a headphone jack.

I would like to install one by myself, unless there's any chance this amp might be worth something to collectors in the future, who might want an unmodified vintage amp. I plan to install a headphone jack and an inline dual-gang pot as a volume control, on the front panel. This will affect the appearance of the amp quite a lot.

Should I go ahead as planned, or perhaps put the socket and the volume control at the back of the unit where it won't be seen? Or just forget about it? I have no idea whether this amp is worth anything.

Thanks Gerald, that's not a bad idea. However I probably won't do that because I like to keep the wiring to a minimum to reduce electro-magnetic interference and phasing issues. For me it's either putting holes in the amp, or not putting holes in the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.