Testing the essential part of My audio equipement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Agree with MiiB.

My wife is 10 years younger than I am and I believe she has better hearing (as women usually have). But it doesn't make her a golden eared audiophile :D

My wife can differentiate sounds easily but when I asked her which one is better (e.g. speakers) she CANNOT tell. But when I'm done with my speaker design I always found her staying next to my speaker listening to music (that's in a dedicated room, she has her own system in the bedroom or living room).

There is no definition for golden ear, but it has almost nothing to do with bandwidth imo

Last edited:
I can only hear in range of 35Hz-12.400Hz. It means I cant hear almost a half of frequency spectrum recorded on a CD.

I don't think it makes sense to use a linear frequency scale. Better to say that you're missing about 1.5 octaves out of 10, or 15% - which is probably about right because presumably you hardly notice it unless you're testing for it under 'laboratory conditions'.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I don't think it makes sense to use a linear frequency scale. Better to say that you're missing about 1.5 octaves out of 10, or 15% - which is probably about right because presumably you hardly notice it unless you're testing for it under 'laboratory conditions'.

Correct. The frequency bands of the ear (cochlea) are really measured on the Bark scale. There's one to google !

If we take 20 to 20khz as 10 octaves then someone who hears to "only" 10k has lost just the top octave. Someone who hears to only 2.5k has "only" lost the three top octaves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.