Greetings and advice please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm new (ish) to the site, been lurking for a month or two but this is my first serious post. I've recently returned seriously to a lifelong interest in audio DIY by building a pair of SEAS Thors, which I'm very happy with (although they are not 100% finished). The Thors replace 25 yrs old Tannoy Eclipse that traveled the world with me. I am driving these with equally ancient home-grown Elektor "medium power AF amplifiers" (Giffard design from late 1990), "top of the range pre-amplifier" (also Elektor / Giffard), a 25 yr old Sony 308 EDS, and Systemdek/RB250/ATF33. All old but totally reliable (>20 years flawless operation! how can electronics last so long??).

But... So much has changed in Audio in 20 years including sites like this one now exist (ha, and the rest of the 'net). My question therefore: "where to go from here?" The Thors are wonderful, powerful but seem very revealing. I listen now to mostly classical but sometimes 70's-80's rock, some jazz, female vocals like Vienna Teng, etc.

Where is the "weak link" in my set-up, and what to change (i.e. build) next? New amp? DAC for the Sony? Ditch the old CD completely? Are valves better for classical? Valves were ancient history when I built my amp. I have almost no experience of modern equipment (....!) except the amazing SEAS drivers. So, I'll appreciate and really enjoy reading any advice. Thanks!

(moderators: please move post if the wrong forum!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.