My new hybrid amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm workign to build a new hybrid amplifier with tube input stage, and ss buffer. The estimated output power is 300W/4ohms, and the output buffer design based on Marantz PM11S1 output stage. But my version use more and different output devices.
The voltage gain of the buffer is 3. Simulated distortion is 0.003% at 300W output power.
The input stage based on single 6H30P for both channels. Voltage gain is approx. 6.

Sajti

The schematic of the output stage, with the protection.

Sajti

Attachments

• hibrid_pm_187.png
    hibrid_pm_187.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,145
I'm workign to build a new hybrid amplifier with tube input stage, and ss buffer. The estimated output power is 300W/4ohms, and the output buffer design based on Marantz PM11S1 output stage. But my version use more and different output devices.
The voltage gain of the buffer is 3. Simulated distortion is 0.003% at 300W output power.
The input stage based on single 6H30P for both channels. Voltage gain is approx. 6.
Sajti

If that buffer is push-pull and includes several stages, emloying tube input stage will insignificantly improve the final sound, it is already determined by the buffer, IMHO.

I see now, it's a conventional EF3 output stage, with EF input stage to a complex complementary singleton drive via a current mirror and a cascode to the pre-driver. Fascinating protection system! Not simple at all, I assume very high OLG and very low THD? How does it sound, does it make you tap your feet and bring out a smile?

Hugh

I see now, it's a conventional EF3 output stage, with EF input stage to a complex complementary singleton drive via a current mirror and a cascode to the pre-driver. Fascinating protection system! Not simple at all, I assume very high OLG and very low THD? How does it sound, does it make you tap your feet and bring out a smile?

Hugh

So, the OLG is about 500. It can be higher, but I don't think that it's necessary. The OLG distortion is 0.22%, with 4ohm load, and 300W output. Mainly 3rd harmonic. Interesting that the closed loop distortion contains mainly 2nd harmonic.
The protectione system is my own development, and contains delayed switch ON, overcurrent, overtemperature, low voltage protection. Self reseting, and the amplifier can handle the short circuit for long time.
The circuit based on Marantz PM11, or MA9, but I try to use better passive components.
Not yet listened, I need some more time to build the PSU, and the tube input stage.

Sajti

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.