High Pass Switch for Parametric EQ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm creating a parametric EQ. The following link is the schematic (for one of 3 filters):

http://www.ioplex.com/~miallen/ParametricProto1.pdf

My question is, how does one implement a graceful switch between regular bandpass (bell) mode and highpass/lowpass (shelf) mode?

In the current circuit, S7 switches between the bandpass output and the lowpass output of the state variable active filter. I used the LP because that is the only arrangement that I found that yielded the desired result. Are there other methods for switching between HP / BP or is this the conventional method?

Note that I also found that the series resistor on the wiper (R24 in the schematic) had to be exactly the same value as the cut / boost inverted input resistors (R9 and R11 respectively) or the filter would not produce a good highpass / lowpass characteristic.

Also, the current circuit as-is is unstable when the 100K level control (R12) is turned all the way CCW when acting as a lowpass. Meaning when R12 is delivering all LP signal to the cut op amp, the output is distorted.

Finally, I would appreciate any general opinions or comments regarding how the circuit might be improved.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey,

No, I am not familiar with any existing EQ circuits other than the J. Audio Eng. paper I based my circuit on. But just from looking at the page you cite, that Caltrec looks like it's using a 3 pole switch to adjust the level into the SVF, adjust the Q resistor network and knock out an integrator. That is a lot more complicated than just swapping in the LP using a 1 pole switch. The LP is the same as the HP just inverted so it at least makes sense to me why what I'm currently doing works. Although the extreme -dB shelving instability is a wart. Maybe it would improve stability if I litter the circuit with caps to cut everything above and below the outer ranges of interest.

Thanks,
Mike

Hope this thread ain't dead yet - did you come along with your design? been trying to bring a similar design to life - for a bass guitar preamp, that is - and brooded over several different para eq methods (2 of which have added q factor). will swap schems if you like. still not sure about a switchable high cut

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.