P3A mono blocks finally finished (picture post)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, finally I've finished my P3A mono blocks. They are only rated 30w into an 8 ohms load, but this amount of power suits the cabinet as the top of it is used as heat sink. The xformer used is a 120VA 18-0-18. The output devices are MJL21193/94 - fairly overrated, one must add. The electrolytics are some cheap Rubycon 4700uF from Farnell. I chose them because of their small size.

There are two minor issues. A little bit of hum is present, but I have to put my ear all the up the midbass driver in order to hear it. I suspect that this is the result of placing the transformer this close to the amp circuitry or unshielded input wires. The input wires will be changed soon, but the hum is no problem.

The other issue is under dimensioned input caps. I used some Icel 1.5uF 1% polyprolene. They are definetly too small. I've ordered some 10uF polypropylenes from Elfa, but I'm sure if the space is too tight. I guess I'll find out.

Anyway, here's the pictures.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm in the process of making a P3A in quad configuration - i.e. two boards, one for each speaker.

It'll be used in as a passive bi-amped design - I would go active, but I don't want to risk my speakers warranty.

I'll post pics if it's finished any time soon !!

Thank you, Douchekop and Dj BASS AMP.

Well, when it comes to music reproduction these amps seems to do it rather well. Their power resources are of course limited, but still enough for my Mirage FRX-3.

When compared to my Harman/Kardon HK680 the bass roll off issue is very clear. I did sense the problem from the very first second these amps played. The HK680 has exellent bass reproduction and I doubt that these amps will ever get near, but at least they should be able reproduce bass below 20hz.... I'm shooting for a roll off at around 8hz by using a 10uF input cap.

The FRX-3 speakers are very laid back. But with these amp they seems much more "neutral". I'm looking forward to letting the P3A amps power my fathers Dynaudio MSP200.

They will definetly be much easier to judge with these speakers. And they will probably be pushed to the border.

The overall impression is definetly possive. But I cannot give them a fair critique as long as the input cap issue has not been corrected.

So yes, they are actually not finished yet..

Really nice amps. I really like those cases but so I should...this was one of my GC mono blocks:

Attachments

• gc.jpg
    gc.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 982
That is certainly some nice clones, you've got there, UrSv. Is heat buildup a serious issue in your amps - at what rail voltage are you running the amps?

JasonL, the cases are - afaik - only available from Conrad in germany (www.conrad.com). The cases are not very expensive, but transport may very well change that. Isn't possible to get those cases or some like them in USA/Canada, anyone?

sobazz said:
That is certainly some nice clones, you've got there, UrSv. Is heat buildup a serious issue in your amps - at what rail voltage are you running the amps?

JasonL, the cases are - afaik - only available from Conrad in germany (www.conrad.com). The cases are not very expensive, but transport may very well change that. Isn't possible to get those cases or some like them in USA/Canada, anyone?

They don't even get mildly warm. Chip is attached to the Al angle which is attached to the bottom of the case. Rails are 36 VDC.

Cases are available from Conrad in all Conrad countries almost and I got my cases in Switzerland. The extrusions are made by Isel (http://www.isel.de/) and any dealer that sells Isel boxes could potentially have them. Isel makes nice extrusions and many could be used for cases.

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 835
UrSv said:

They don't even get mildly warm. Chip is attached to the Al angle which is attached to the bottom of the case. Rails are 36 VDC.

Cases are available from Conrad in all Conrad countries almost and I got my cases in Switzerland. The extrusions are made by Isel (http://www.isel.de/) and any dealer that sells Isel boxes could potentially have them. Isel makes nice extrusions and many could be used for cases.
I like the round one.
It would be perfect for a small amp, like a gainclone. The shape and size fit good for a toroid.

Put the case vertically, place the toroid at the bottom, all connectors on top

and paint it like a beer can :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.