MAKO is an hyper power amplifier, able, alike the Mako shark to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
everything and everyone..... able to eat my own older designs too in some features.

Was designed, assembled and it is under testing..some monthes more to release.

Was promissed as exclusive design to another forum.... so, i cannot post the final schematic, but i can tell it is based in the Precision 1, an amplifier that has 100 boards sold in this forum when Nico was running a group buy (Nordic).

So, the Precision 1 is the base.... and i do think the evolution is very obvious, natural consequence because the electronics evolution and the fashion circuit we have around.

I would like to have suggestions, as MAKO was not sold and can become a DIY project, free to everybody, as it will be free in that other forum too, as DIY project offered to the community and providing boards and support to build it..... well.... the guy can give up.... there's just a promisse to supply him exclusive design.

But i would like to see what people would do to make the Precision 1 better.... this is what i have done...i would be extremelly happy watching and studying and understanding the different ways people thinks...and to learn their reasons to decide this way or that way.

Please, if you are interested, post your modifications, explain your reasons and show us how skilled you are.... maybe, some of your ideas can be incorporated into the MAKO design and if this, one day, produce profit, you will be invited to receive your rigths about....will enter as co-designer.

Mine is made....i do think it is awsome as beated all i have... even the Blame was beated in the bass..not in sound stage, treble or voices..but in the bass was beated i have to say... power is 700 watts at 2 ohms loads in my design.

People loves to tweak other guys designs.... well...this is your chance..i am inviting and asking you to do that.

So, .... go ahead!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Precision 1.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 559
  • MAKO.jpg
    MAKO.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,298
I am building the prototype, but have prepared also

an enclosure to a mono unit.... this enclosure you see have just parts joined together without any work alike sanding, polishing and adjusting...so, it will be much better when finished..i have just fixed screws to produce a picture.

There a video only.... no pictures for a while...as it is not finished to show details:

YouTube - Dx Mako, the Power Machine

regards,

Carlos

So, take a seat and enjoy the thread..soon you gonna be prepared

The amplifier will be based into the Precision 1 which schematic i have posted...my curiosity what modifications people would make...i do think all modifications are obvious...but this is my understanding...based in my mind.... my obvious can be different from other guy's obvious.

People loves to tweak designs, i have invited people do do that, as usually many folks tried to change some designs i have made but they where not in the reseach and development moment... they where ready to go and final schematic made, prototype already tested and not opened anymore to suggestions... this one was also made and in prototype, but i have a couple of monthes and some good idea can be used... this one is not "closed" to modifications... and they started to the Precision 1, and it is the only schematic i can show you and should be the base schematic to development.

As i explained, i made my own development..based in my ideas..i would like to see what kind of developments other guys could make.

I will be gratefull for your effort and interest, i just cannot promisse to use your ideas, but for sure i will be watching, simulating and some of them will be tested real life to see if sounded good.

The schematic i have made cannot be shown because agreement made..it is not to analise what i did based in the Precision I, the idea is to produce YOUR Precision I evolution schematic.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Carlos , my friend .... why not really depart from the norm. Did you know that with just 2 or 3 pair outputs and a "tracking down converter" (below 1) , a "hyper powered" 500w+ amp can be made with a standard EF2. 90% efficiency , the converter can be made small (to-220 mosfets). This one has not been built (yet). Also , it would still be a linear class AB amp
(not D) as the power supply "tracks" the higher power transients. Notice the simple bootstrap amp with standard 2 pair Japanese 4302/4281 outputs in the middle.

PS - I am SERIOUSLY considering this for my HT sub amp.

OS

Attachments

• sunfire.JPG
    sunfire.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,193
Last edited:
Based into the Precision, not the same Precision I

The topologie may look alike.....Also i will be using 10 output pairs.

I am not searching new topologies Ostripper, I have used Precision I as a starting point, just a reference that was updated and upgraded and now a days is very different.

My curiosity is to see what kind of updates and upgrades people would do, and, off course to have some ideas to test.

Please, read the thread dear Ostry, uncle charlie is not searching for designs, was sold my prototype....to sell something it must first be yours, so, your schematic does not fit the main condition that should be mine from the scratch....i can accept sugestions in sub circuits only, i cannot sell your schematic...i have elected mine one to sell...obviously.

Is your schematic an update and upgrade from Precision I ?.... it seems to it is not, so you have not readed the thread, or my english is turning very confused.

If you decide to build this Sunfire schematic, then please, after build it, gimme the thread's link in oeder to allow me to see it assembled and to read your evaluation, review and your thoughs about it

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
I see, the smart power supply.

Thank you...i will use a SMPS designed by the one will explore my design (maybe).... i cannot substitute a Dx amplifier by other...the guy want to buy a Dx amplifier, a never published and exclusive design.

You know, iwould like to see folks ideas to check mine own ideas...i do think i have made an excellent job upgrading the Precision 1

Thank you Ostripper, will you build this one you show...with that smart power supply?

The power amplifier is nice....the way i like...but the supply seems a little bit exagerated in parts count....will you face the challenge?

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
That is NOT a SMPS . It uses a +/- 90-130vdc standard supply. When the signal is small it "down converts" to run the amp at +/- 20V. It then will "follow" a high power signal only raising the rail voltages enough to allow for that signal.
Since the outputs are normally running at a very low voltage , the SOA is much higher , allowing 2 pair to be rated as 5-6 pair would normally be. Quite a unique technique.

twice as good as a class H design , which uses 2 npn / 2 pnp in series w/ 2 power supplies (+/- 45 AND +/- 90V) - splitting the CE voltage , therefore doubling the SOA.

OS

Last edited:
I am going to sixty.....hehehe..i would like to have 18 once again

And return to the past to met all that 70 girl friends i had from 18 to 30 years old...them i got married and the fun finished fast... sons arrived and peace finished..only worries about them and their future survived.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Old bugger.jpg
    Old bugger.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
You look much slimmer, Carlos, far more healthy! Congratulations......

Marry in haste, repent at leisure..... it's a great world, huh?

The sliding power supply is an excellent idea, OS is 100% right. And since you are moving the collector voltage up and down to improve SOAR, you are also reducing output device distortion because Early effect is greatly reduced.

But you still lose efficiency in the up/down converters as they must drop voltage, making it about the same efficiency as a stock AB amp.

Hugh

Os wrote:

You don't understand , substitute any DX amp for the one in the schema. With the added converters , you more than double the amps efficiency and power output. NO new topology , just a super fancy "smart" power supply.

Yes I see, a switching power amp, Class D can make it good also, years ago I did some digital signal processing DSP filtering (TMS320C30 32bits 50MFLOPS), it's very suitable at audio ranges for very high power 'mako' class D, replace your PCM with a DSP, software control on distortion and other nifty effects.

Cheers
Arturo

Took six monthes Azmi...i am still on diet

but i have other 40 kilos to loose...a long way to go..one more year i think and a plastic operation to remove some kilos of excess of skin..as everything desinflate here and there!s a lot of empty bags of fat around.

Yes,.... class D is interesting too...but i could not listen sound stage in mine...i have a Class D Philips at my home....now a days with my daugther.... mine had not extreme low bass.... less than 35 hertz is impossible..also high end does not exist in mine one..... of course other Class D can be different..but i am really addicted to AB and not very interested in class D..... maybe too much old to accept these modern things.... the oposite..i still think tubes are the best...i do not use them because too much expensive and a rarity to find them here in my country.

regards and thanks to hermano Artu and Azmi...also thanks to Hugh.

Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.