GX400 - 400W Audio Amplifier - Made in Romania - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2011, 03:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default GX400 - 400W Audio Amplifier - Made in Romania

I have developed a new prototype audio amplifier where I try to mix simplicity with performance as well. So, I wanted to build an audio amplifier to provide the best performance in a price as low as possible and be an alternative observable to other audio amplifiers as well.
I would say, the GX400 is the most solid DIY audio amplifier (with fewer electronic parts) if will be used quality electronic components and the key electronic components of the diagram are sorted.
Some of these performances are shown in table amplifier characteristics of the project.

Relating to construction and operation of the GX400 audio amplifier I would like to say:
- GX400 amplifier has the advantage of automatically enter a state of MUTE if one fuse blows for some reason;
- To contact TEMP can attach a temperature sensor, such as a thermostat (the protection is indicated by led PROTECT);
- if the MUTE header is shorted, then the audio amplifier state will be MUTE;
- GX400 amplifier has DC protection to protect the acoustic enclosure for DC voltage that could arise for various reasons at the output amplifier (the protection is indicated by led PROTECT);
- I did not include a reverse polarity protection voltages (very carefully when connecting the plus and minus voltage power supply);
- the SIG and PEAK leds I made in the simplest way possible. If you are carefully calibrated (especially the PEAK LED), then this led may very well signal when the amplifier is overloaded;
- I recommend sorting 2SA970 transistors on the input and the output power transitors.

Discussions in the romanian language arise here:
KIT102.4 = GX400 - Amplificator Audio Hi-Fi 400W - Comunitatea Tehnium Azi
and discussions in the english language can be run here, in this thread.

Since the project size exceeds the possibilities of attachment of this forum, I invite those interested to download the project from the web link above (you must be a registered user you can download it).

So, I wait for yours reviews.

Best Regards
Old 13th March 2011, 10:04 PM   #2
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Donpetru,

Thank you for your post and your willingness to share your project.

For non-Romanian speakers, registration is a bit awkward, would you be prepared to simply present the schematic, either in simple format or complete, as an attached image here for people to easily view?

Appreciated,

Hugh
Old 13th March 2011, 11:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Donpetru, if you're having problems with the file sizes, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 14th March 2011, 01:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The maximum pdf file size that can be loaded on this forum is 195.3 KB but my project is over 1Mb. If anyone is helpful to increase the load limit per file special for me, with the greatest pleasure I upload project file here.
Otherwise, please visit the above web link by selecting the bottom forum option of language viewing: "English".

Regards
Old 14th March 2011, 01:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Zip it. Winrar or winzip (google it) , usually reduces a PDF by 10-25%. This would allow a 1.2meg PDF to be uploaded adhering to DIYA's 976KB zip file size limit.

OS
Old 14th March 2011, 06:45 PM   #6
alex mm is offline alex mm  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi ,
I have resized files, from project
Regards Alex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GX400 ALL.jpg (349.7 KB, 1380 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GX400 SCH.pdf (66.1 KB, 897 views)
File Type: pdf GX400 TEH DATA.pdf (50.2 KB, 458 views)
File Type: pdf PCB BW.pdf (70.6 KB, 499 views)

Last edited by alex mm; 14th March 2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 14th March 2011, 08:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpetru View Post

Best Regards
OK.

???? running 4 pair IRF's directly from a a non-buffered (driverless) 10ma VAS ?

Both CCS's are thermally compensated , but a standard 2Q CCS offers much better PSRR and comparable tempco. To decouple the CCS's ground reference will improve things further.

No degeneration on input pair ... tough to match, Offset quite possible.

Work on that Vbe , IRF OPS's have a very small bias "window" to obtain proper idle current. Nice set of MJE15034/35 drivers would go a long way. Unless you would prefer the run that VAS at 30-40mA.

OS
Old 14th March 2011, 10:28 PM   #8
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

I have to agree with OS I would possibly cascode the VAS.
The gate rail capacitors (39pf) are also probably not necessary for vertical mosfets.

Jam
Old 17th March 2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Art M is offline Art M  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpetru View Post
Some of these performances are shown in table amplifier characteristics of the project.

Best Regards
Interesting that the 4 ohm output power rating is is MORE then TWICE the 8 ohm rating. Not sure if it is possible to get even 2x into into 4 ohms with an unregulated supply and resistive losses ?
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

@ostripper, initially I was thinking to realize 2Q CCS and not transistor + 2 diode, but instead of two diodes I used transistor + diode, performance of the two types of CCS are very close to maintain constant current when the voltage stages amplifier is changes. If you are sorted well transistors on the amplifier input and output stage, it will be very small offset (utmost 20mV). I not preferred to increase the polarization of the current VAS stage amplifier, because I don't observed a significant performance improvement (heats more VAS amplifier stage).

@jam, the gate rail capacitors (39pf) are necessary to fill, well, the role of the output amplifier coil (coil, which in this case, I have not used it).

@Art M, my project is a theoretical one to be put into practice (already started to be made ​​by a user from my forum). Certainly will need one or two complete revisions to complete this project. So, their powers are results of spice simulations we have done.

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!